Seeking Expert Opinion

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Seeking Expert Opinion

Postby marsonion » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:32 am

I'm trying to get a sampling of expert opinion with regard to the value (or loss thereof) for a Pace Cherry Deluxe in the condition shown. "I wouldn't pay one red cent for that wreck!(i.e. $0.00)" would constitute a legitimate response in my opinion; however, I believe most expert restorers and dealers would have to admit that there is salvage value in an item such as this as a parts machine, and perhaps provide a reasonable range of figures. The mechanism is (miraculously) intact and functioning well; no castings are broken per se, only bent as indicated. The damage appears to have resulted from the forward-most plank of the base having been sheared nearly off by a sideward/diagonal impact to the right-bottom corner of the cabinet, splitting the side panel wood on the left corner such that it pushed a dog-eared shape of the flexible steel sheeting far enough to bend the bottom side trim piece outward as shown.

Thanking all respondents to this posting in advance for sharing their experience and expertise.
Attachments
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0007.JPG
marsonion

Re: Seeking Expert Opinion

Postby clubconsoles » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:14 am

Very frustrating to have a machine that has quite clearly been dropped in its corner.
Whilst I do not claim to have an "expert opinion", from what I can see in the pictures , you have been lucky!!
No broken castings on the mech and case is a REAL RESULT.
Its basically all Labour and a bit of wood Glue & some Cramps.

Dissemble the Case, re glue the Base & re assemble.
It could have been A LOT worse IMO
clubconsoles

Postby marsonion » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:12 pm

clubconsoles wrote:Very frustrating to have a machine that has quite clearly been dropped in its corner.
Whilst I do not claim to have an "expert opinion", from what I can see in the pictures , you have been lucky!!
No broken castings on the mech and case is a REAL RESULT.
Its basically all Labour and a bit of wood Glue & some Cramps.

Dissemble the Case, re glue the Base & re assemble.
It could have been A LOT worse IMO

Thank you for your input; I agree that the damage could have been much worse. I do wish to repair this damaged cabinet, but could anyone assign a percentage or fractional estimation to the difference in value before vs. after such damage, as if it was a new car with a dented fender and a dangling bumper as a result of an accident? (Maybe there's some industry standard 1/4 or 30% loss of value from MSRP or something like that, but IDK. I have reasons for asking these questions, naturally.)
marsonion

Postby Richard13 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm no expert but I would value my labor at $350 just to do the repairs and not include refinishing. Hope that helps and nice find!
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby marsonion » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:07 pm

Richard13 wrote:I'm no expert but I would value my labor at $350 just to do the repairs and not include refinishing. Hope that helps and nice find!

Thanks for your input! The issue remains unresolved though I've provided plenty of rigorous evidence-- exactly as stipulated-- for my delivery damage claim. Not a word since they informed me that they were "looking into" the matter... the shipper paid for insurance in good faith, but they don't appear to be too eager to provide any satisfaction. I should have paid more attention to my fortune-telling reels: But beware of brown men; they'll want to shine-on your shipments.
Attachments
ReliableUPS.jpg
marsonion

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:56 am

Thanks for your input! The issue remains unresolved though I've provided plenty of rigorous evidence-- exactly as stipulated-- for my delivery damage claim. Not a word since they informed me that they were "looking into" the matter... the shipper paid for insurance in good faith, but they don't appear to be too eager to provide any satisfaction. I should have paid more attention to my fortune-telling reels: But beware of brown men; they'll want to shine-on your shipments.[/quote]

OK onion, now we all know who your employer is. Only UPS employees are allowed in the Slot Destruction Room. [-X
You should be ashamed of yourself. Sure glad you are not delivering in my area!
Ha! On the serious side - Nice 'Photo-shop' work. =D>
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby marsonion » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:27 pm

SLOT DYNASTY wrote:
OK onion, now we all know who your employer is. Only UPS employees are allowed in the Slot Destruction Room. [-X
You should be ashamed of yourself. Sure glad you are not delivering in my area!
Ha! On the serious side - Nice 'Photo-shop' work. =D>

Bill, looks to me as though everybody-- up to and including any thrice-convicted felon, rabid baboon and thunderbolt-hurling mythological figure-- is allowed entry into the UPS Slot Destruction Room. I grew weary of seeing that poor, devastated '46 Pace in my lab day after day, so I went ahead and "fixed" it. It was a "nice original" when I paid for it... so what do we call it now? I swear, I dare not bring a hammer within ten feet of any surviving antique (least of all one with this much original finish) yet I had to whack this thing silly to make the castings fit back together. The natural result of that sorry effort was to compromise the finish in ways that make me feel sort of sick. Still, with something like 95% of the original red wrinkle-paint intact, and the rest of it flaked decades ago and more of it lying on the floor at my feet, I decided to "overspray" the paint, holding the rattlecan 12"-18" away, so it wouldn't build over the texture. Now I'm giving it to my sister-in-law who says she really wants an old slot machine to complement her "new" Chrysler T&C I told you about. So, despite nary a cent of reparations from the UPS bounders, I'm not crying myself to sleep about this travesty either. Life goes on.
Attachments
handleside.jpg
leftside.jpg
marsonion

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:03 am

I will say this. "That is a fine job, resurrecting that Pace from a near disaster". =D>
I still wouldn't shrug-off UPS on compensation. Besides being experts at destroying things,
they also play the 'Dumb Game' rather well.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby pj waelti » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:04 am

Nice work on that one Patrick... PJ
pj waelti

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions