Pace restoration questions

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Pace restoration questions

Postby drishoff » Sun May 01, 2016 5:14 pm

Does anyone know the color name on this Pace? Color under parts that weren't exposed to light seem to be a shade of red vs the faded salmon color.
Second question is that these chrome pieces are riveted on. Is drilling the rivets off the standard for restoration and are replacement rivets or chrome smooth head carriage bolt available in this size for reinstalling?

IMG_5744.JPG

IMG_5831.JPG
drishoff

Re: Pace restoration questions

Postby marsonion » Sun May 01, 2016 9:22 pm

drishoff wrote:Does anyone know the color name on this Pace? Color under parts that weren't exposed to light seem to be a shade of red vs the faded salmon color.
Second question is that these chrome pieces are riveted on. Is drilling the rivets off the standard for restoration and are replacement rivets or chrome smooth head carriage bolt available in this size for reinstalling?

I sure don't! One I worked on recently-- not because I wanted to-- is described here:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4389

I also found a much more distinctly saturated hue of very red color in a protected area, behind the award plate. All of the worn and chipped paint was both faded and nicotine-stained wherever it was exposed to its environment. Yours does not appear to have the same sort of wrinkle-paint finish which mine had/has, however. At any rate, the old protected paint looked "cherryish" whereas the exposed, faded and smoked-over paint looked "bricky."

As I dismantled the damaged cabinet in order to put it back together, I found that the three top trim rails were secured with short carriage bolts and hex-nuts, indicating that somebody probably had been at it previously... why they didn't bother to clean up the surfaces a little at that time is a mystery to me. Maybe they wished to preserve that sort of "patina" that stinks and makes your hands dirty? (I didn't and don't.) The anti-pry bar was loosely riveted, though. I simply masked that part over before refreshing the wrinkle paint with an overspray-dusting of rattle-can "Banner Red" from Ace Hardware. That left the wrinkle-paint texture which was still too good to strip, but too discolored and BTS to leave alone.
marsonion

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions