Pick a Buckley lock?

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Pick a Buckley lock?

Postby flipper77 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Picked up a decent quarter Buckley but owner had lost the back door key. This has the tubular lock/key like my late Jennings and Ballys. Any one familiar with these - can these be opened by a locksmith and can a new key be made? Looks like the original Buckley lock so hate to drill it out. Flip
Attachments
aBuckley.JPG
buckleylock.JPG
flipper77

Re: Pick a Buckley lock?

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:30 pm

Hello ;
first these types of locks are much easier to "break into......"

This will sound stupid..... but it may be opened with an ink pen. take a bic type ink pen, take the plastic filler piece off the back end , the use a razor blade and basically cut a cross into it = 1 slit across , 1 slit up and down. so what you have is 4 slits / 4 pieces of plastic. shove the hole pen into the lock & twist it back & forth ( clockwise / counter clock wise) for a bit till it turns. slit depth depends on the mushrooming of the pieces & depth of that lock area.
Then remove the lock , take to lock smith for a new key.

YES , this can work... & works often. this lock should have 8 or 6 pins in it but ,only a few of these pins really do anything.
check the internet for picking these locks.... Very good story on it , doing this method.
A major lock company who backs their locks with a $3,700.00 cash guarantee. had a guy continually opened their locks with a pen (on you tube no less). they had to buy back the locks & redesign a new one.

if you have the "right " type screw drive with removable tips for different screws or hex type head bolts , same method ,just use with out any tip in place. This is also seen in you tube videos , takes seconds to do.

Build a better mouse trap & some one will build a better mouse.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:36 pm

OH , by the way , Chicago lock company "still exists".... can't recall the name of the company who bought them out. they are in South Carolina (Xcomp . = ?????) they still make much of the Chicago lock line up from the past.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby flipper77 » Sun May 08, 2016 4:13 pm

Thanks Jeff Will give it a try. Appreciate the suggestion! 8)
flipper77

Postby RameGoom » Sun May 08, 2016 7:58 pm

I use this style lock pick for all 7 pin barrel locks:

Takes about 10 seconds to open an Ace lock.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:41 pm

Ramegoom;
how much do these sell for ? I've seen them in use ,but I've never used.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby RameGoom » Mon May 09, 2016 4:51 am

The part I use is a 7 pin, part number TPXA-7 made by Southord. I believe they're available on Amazon for somewhere around $60 or $70.

You set all the pins flush with the end, put a bit of tension on the O ring nut, insert it into the lock and wiggle it a few times. Somehow, the pins find the depth of the tumblers and within a few moments, the lock is open.

And, if you have a key cutting machine for these types of keys, you can use the tool as a key, and make a key for that lock from a blank. Pretty cool operation. They make an 8 pin model, so if you are into re-keying locks, it'd make sense to have both.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby JHSS-1944 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:57 am

Thank you for the information !!
I have found way to many Sega & Bally machines with no keys , got lost.
Unfortunately the Sega's have a 10 pin lock = British made ,long out of business.

jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby insertcoinhere » Tue May 10, 2016 6:32 pm

The 10-pin pick is available too (in addition to the 7 and 8 pin already mentioned). I purchased mine from http://www.ukbumpkeys.com/products/south-ord-10-pin-tubular-lock-pick
insertcoinhere

Postby JHSS-1944 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:37 pm

I'll have to look into them.
Thank you for the information.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions