So I found another Mills front vendor need help on paint

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

So I found another Mills front vendor need help on paint

Postby Richard13 » Sat May 21, 2016 2:24 pm

I found and bought a 1931 or 1932 Mills FOK non gooseneck like the image below. I can't show a photo of it now because it it butt ugly. Looks like someone had some left over house trim paint and decided to either paint the castings or clean their brushes with it 40 or more years ago.

Similar to this machine....my most recent copy of jukeboxes and slot machines is dated 1991 and says low value is $1300 bucks so I bought it for way less than that. Supposedly back door lock and key are there as is cash box.

I can't find any definitive photos of what factory paint schemes are, can anyone provide a couple colorful detail photos to use as a guide?

THANKS!

image.jpeg
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Re: So I found another Mills front vendor need help on paint

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun May 22, 2016 1:51 am

Richard:
The best guide you can have, regarding an original paint scheme for your "F.O.K. Double Eagle", is the
one you posted here. Although I have seen another original color combination on this model, I am not
positive just how many Mills may have done. The one you show, is the more common. I am also posting
a pix of a restored one with the same colors, for you to judge.
The first thing you have to do, is when stripping the cruddy paint from yours, is watch for any original
colors that may be lingering on the surface. If you do decide to go with the colors shown here, mainly
be concerned about the light green, (which is almost turquoise), as most that I have seen restored, use
a dark green, or even blue, which is not anywhere close to original.
Bill

Mills 5c 'F.O.K' w- Future Pay Totalizer (rest)2.jpg
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby flipper77 » Sun May 22, 2016 6:13 am

The Bueschel Slots 1 Tenth Anniversary volume has a section of true colors of the Mills 1930's machines including a very good Silent Jackpot Front Vender like yours. Excellent guide overall. Flip
flipper77

Postby Richard13 » Sun May 22, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks Flip, this looks almost too easy to paint. I like em complicated it's relaxing to me to paint these and I think why I like them. I mix some of my colors to get them right. I did find other examples of this machine all dolled up in more vibrant colors and less polished metal showing. I will post photos when it comes and after I strip off the weatherbeater paint!
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions