1957 Bally TARGET ROLL Piball Machine

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

1957 Bally TARGET ROLL Piball Machine

Postby Rick-okc » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:17 am

Picked this up a while back and am trying to find another collector that has one.
According to Internet Pinball Database (IPDB), there were only 400 made.
This is my first real attempt to work on a pinball machine, odd as it is.
I haven't even plugged the thing in yet. I have a couple of other projects I want to finish first.
Here is what IPDB had to say about the play of this game;

"Target Roll is a cross between pinball, roulette and craps. Game play is just like craps, with the exception that instead of crapping out on a 7 as in craps, on Target Roll you crap out on "70". In addition, points are scored for the various holes you land in. Game is not a typical 3 or 5 ball game. Each game can last as short as one ball or infinite balls until you crap out."

Anyone have any idea how many balls this thing originally came with? According to the description, it could be a lot.
Any recommendations on backglass preservation? Paint is just starting to peel off.
Can anyone give me an idea what this thing is worth?

DSC_6082.JPG
Rick-okc

Re: 1957 Bally TARGET ROLL Piball Machine

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:30 am

Rick:
Here is a pix of another one, in my files, from 2009, in 10c play. What denomination is yours?
Sorry to say, that I don't know who owns it. Nor do I know where the pix was acquired. But at
least you know there is another one out there.
Too bad we don't have the number of that phone sitting next to it. :(
Bill
Bally 10c 'Target-Roll' Roulette Pinball 1957 (orig)1.jpg
Bally 10c 'Target-Roll' Roulette Pinball 1957 (orig)1.jpg (26.39 KiB) Viewed 6336 times
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby JHSS-1944 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:18 am

Rick;
to save the "paint" (actually printers' ink ,screen printed onto the glass), buy triple thick crystal clear glaze (#0500) by krylon.
this is actually a thicker spray on clear coat (in a spray can). China-mart has it ,& think the Depot" just started to sell it.
Never use a basic clear coat !!!! it's to thin & takes to long to dry , in the mean time, it will dissolve / liquefy the ink & it will start to run together .
Treat it like any other clear coat or paint, hold it 10 inch to 12 inch away from the glass BUT, spray it straight on , not on an angle , or you might blow off a piece that has lifted. to hold down a piece that has lifted..... spray the whole thing , then use quality shrink wrap over the area (s) , then a "heavy item" on top of that. the clear coat will not adhere to the "wrap". but will take longer to dry ,ect.

2 or 3 coats should be more than good. now the open areas with no ink (score number areas), should be taped off ahead of time OR use a razor blade later to scrap off the clear coat.... it won't be so "CLEAR" but, foggy looking. Do NOT cut the ink with the razor , before or after.... it will flak off in pieces. to cut this ink you would need to have the blade very hot to slice through it. of course you don't need to do any of this part.
there is / was a "commercial" brand of stuff some guy in the pinball restoration world made, & a few years after being out,almost every one who bought it curses this guys name now. it eventually destroyed every one's ink.

google "restoring paint on glass , pinball machines". (or some version of that...). you will find a Very nice step by step lay out on what to do, ect. ,by a guy who has restored tons of "painted glass" over the years.(sorry, don't recall the site.).

now touching up any "paint loss", is very much a Big pain in the butt & usually Not worth doing. color matching is almost impossible.

I had to do this on my Keeney's super bonus bell & my A.C.Evans bang tails glass; both saving it & filling in the missing areas.

hope this helps !! may have saved the site = ??? if I can find it.

jeff H.
P.S. , looks like a fun gaming machine to play, nice find !
JHSS-1944

Postby Rick-okc » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:31 am

Thanks Bill for the extra picture. They're always useful.

Thank you JHSS-1944 for all the information on the Krylon Triple-Thick. I really appreciate the in-depth instructions. I'll have to go find a can.
A few days ago I gave away a Bally BEACH TIME bingo machine to a new friend/collector that lives about 3 hours north. The first thing he did was take out the backglass and spray it with Triple-Thick. I just wanted to confirm that was the best solution.
I just ordered 15 balls from Marco for the TARGET ROLL. I think that should be more than enough.
Rick-okc

Postby JHSS-1944 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:24 am

You welcome Rick.
the guy of that site found it the best over the years & his test glass pieces out in the garage (Michigan I think), never any issues over the years in the heat / cold.
I'll try to find the site information over the weekend & post it here for others.
A local guy has a 1937 bally "flipper" pin ball for sale. needs restoration a bit , real cheap but, I really don't have the space..... but I'll still contact him , since I'm an idiot like that.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby JHSS-1944 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:41 am

OOOpppsss; I meant 1937 Bally skipper pin ball machine.
JHSS-1944

Postby JHSS-1944 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:52 am

Sorry to all.... not linked but, here's the site information on restoring pin ball machines & restoring the "paint" on the glass.
www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm .
hope this helps others who might need the help.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby Rick-okc » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:25 am

Thanks Jeff for the pinball restoration web site. That's going to be a big help.
That Bally Skipper looks like a very interesting machine. If you don't get it, I'm interested in it.
Rick-okc

Postby nvmos2 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:42 am

JHSS-1944 wrote:You welcome Rick.
A local guy has a 1937 bally "flipper" pin ball for sale. needs restoration a bit , real cheap but, I really don't have the space..... but I'll still contact him , since I'm an idiot like that.
jeff H.

Don't have the space?
If it's the Bally Skipper I'm thinking of, it's a small table top game; less than 1x2 feet.
It really is an interesting game and surely you could find room for that little guy.
nvmos2

Postby JHSS-1944 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:14 pm

I'll send this man an e-mail tonight for further information. he stated it was fully functional.... I believe only 5 photos of it & they were all up close. And he stated he didn't have the room ,or he would keep it, hence me thinking it was "big".
it does have legs on it , so not a table top version.
He's selling it on Craigs list in Arizona....... doubt he would ship it, but might.
I'll find out.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions