Mills Coin Advance Bar Operating Lever

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Coin Advance Bar Operating Lever

Postby Rick-okc » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:40 am

I'm working on a Mills style machine, I believe to be a reproduction from the 1970s.
I have a miss match between the coin advance bar operating lever on the mech and the coin advance bar lever assembly on the escalator. The coin advance bar operating lever appears to be too tall or I have the wrong coin advance bar lever assembly.
Since this is a reproduction machine, I figured it's fair game to change the theme of the machine. It used to be a Golden Nugget, now it's a Jack Daniels machine.
Repair.jpg

DSC_6058.JPG

DSC_6061.JPG

DSC_6065.JPG
Rick-okc

Re: Mills Coin Advance Bar Operating Lever

Postby mrslot1 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:46 am

Nice Job on that Jack Daniels machine....

I have the part you are looking for, feel free to email me at mrslot1@aol.com

thanks Dave
mrslot1

Postby JHSS-1944 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:33 am

Rick; are you sure it was a reproduction machine ???
I only ask , since the original G.N. had brass leaves.... casting made of brass (unless you painted the leaves). all the reproductions I've seen, have chrome leaves regardless if a G.N. or basic extra bell/ atkins front.

And did You do the art work on the reel strips & the pay out card ??? VERY NICE, excellent quality !!!!!
I was talking yesterday to another forum member, about ME monkeying with my repro. extra bell. white paint with the chrome, & I hate white. kinda opened my eyes to some possibilities (not J.D.).
GOOD IMAGINATION FOR SURE.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby Rick-okc » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:41 am

JHSS-1944, yes, I'm positive it's a reproduction of some type. The back bonnet has Mexico stamped in the casting. When I got he machine it had a real cheap-ass brass/gold plating on it. I tried masking off an area to paint and the plating pulled off with the paint. I removed all the plating and painted it. The mech and escalator, however, appear to be nice originals.
Thanks for the comments on my award card and reel strips. Yes, I created them myself. I did two award cards, one with a black and another with an ivory background in Photoshop and the strips were created in Publisher.
As soon as I get the parts from Dave (MrSlot1) its going up on eBay.
Rick-okc

Postby JHSS-1944 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:17 am

Rick; thank you for the reply back !!!
never heard of plating that bad..... but, look where it came from. did a Fine job on ALL the art work !!!! I bet it sells for a lot more than you hope it will. very nice.
keep up the good work.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby Rick-okc » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:28 am

This is what it originally looked like.

25 cent Golden Nugget.jpg
Rick-okc

Postby Richard13 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:00 am

The talent and creativity astound me on the graphics I see a bunch of old guys like me doing. From Mills Ming wrappers to reel strips and award cards. Amazing work guys! It might be cool too someday if bored to make a military themed machine?

Artillery infantry navy army marine Air Force. Maybe old ww 2 aircraft or ships? The combinations are endless, might be cool but I learned an expensive lesson a long time ago. Just because I like something doesn't mean anyone else will too!!!
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:58 pm

If You want a machine with a military theme, you can always look for a Daval "American Eagle" Trade Stimulator version,
with the Defense strips, as in the pix below. They don't turn up as often as the standard Fruit or Cigarette models, but
occasionally one will show up on eBay.
Daval 'American Eagle' Defense (Reel Bundle).jpg
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Richard13 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:14 pm

Man oh man you guys are sure learning me a lot I never saw a military themed machine but that one is cool!
Thanks for the edumacation and the extra effort put into retrieving that photo for me! Really (reely) glad I
found this site!
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby mechanic » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:11 pm

First thing I noticed was the pull down bar being worn out. Where the hook is the area in the middle should be double the thin upper part that is shown above the block of wood. It will need to be welded and ground down, put it back together and see how it works. Go from there!
mechanic

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions