watling rol-a-top bird of paradise 1934 need help

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: watling rol-a-top bird of paradise 1934 need help

Postby 1th » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:37 pm

The escalator works but the reels don't move when you pull the handle
1th

Postby clubconsoles » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:05 pm

Upon reviewing your pictures, yes there is a lot of repairs needed on that bottom casting.
you need to be a good welder, or know a good welder!
I would say this is a big project for your first machine but if your really want the Rol a top, it is worth doing.
sorry, but it is never going to command the top price, even if you do all the repairs, it will still be noticeable from the inside the case.
Top money for this bird model fully restored is £4 - 5K, so you need to get an estimate for all the metalwork.
if you decide its too much work, i would put it into the Elephant house auctions, you would get most of your money back.
Perhaps save some more cash and get one that requires less work, or accept yours for what it is, at least its not a repro!
What with the £ now against the $ since the Brexit vote, you would find it very expensive to get a decent one over from the US!
clubconsoles

Postby 1th » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Iv been offered a repo bottom case do you no what these are like
1th

Postby Anglobritish » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:33 pm

Hi,
You are getting very good advise from some of the top and knowledgable collectors from around the World, you chose to collect a very highly priced machine when restored, also one where parts are not only scarce but highly expensive, if you need parts for the reel mech, you should explore buying a early British Bell-Fruit model such as a "3-A-Like" Bell Fruit bought the Watling tooling in the late 1950's, most of the parts on the reel mech should be interchangable. if you are a first time collector, I would just fill in the cracks, paint it and make it look nice for show purposes, one thing I would do is take the honest advise you are getting from the other members of this Forum.

Freddy Bailey
Anglobritish

Postby 1th » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:41 pm

I just want to say thank you to everyone for all your advice and help I really appreciate it I fill like a right wolly for not doing my home work but what is done is done so I will try and restore it I will let you no how I get on and I'm sure I will be asking for your advice on the form many thanks terry
1th

Postby watlingboy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:26 pm

I agree, that bottom casting is a mess. I don't think it is salvageable. It appears to be painted silver which is hiding additional problems. It also looks like there is corrosion above the jackpot window. Never seen corrosion repaired to anyone's satisfaction. If it was mine, I wouldn't do anything to it because it has too much missing or damaged. You either live with it as it is or deal it off through an auction and hope for the best. Keep in mind that if you put on a recast lower front, the mint vender covers will no longer fit because of shrinkage.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby Lol » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:00 am

Hi Terry
Like you I am a newbie to the group. I am looking to buy a bird of paradise as my first slot machine. I live in the UK. So a lot of similarity with yourself. I was also watching your ROL on ebay and it easily could have been me that purchased the same from Italy. I also thought that it looked a good buy. I certainly lack the experience that is needed.

Luckily I found this forum and it has been a revelation for me. I have received great help. The archive postings on Rol's will help a great deal with tips for restoration. The group is friendly and the combined knowledge immense. In particular one member Stephane who is a great guy has thankfully saved me from jumping in when I should not on more than one occasion.

So don't despair. I can see that you are getting great advice and help. I can't offer much advice myself as I am new but as a novice I can mention;

Watling owner's pictorial guide. A repair manual that is easy to understand and well illustrated. I just purchased a copy from Mead publishing. The Ebay link is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Watling-Slot-Ma ... SwZjJU29DF

I have been informed that there was not an expanded revamped fourth printing so the book is 140 pages and not 206 pages as stated. Apparently it is a typo in the description on Ebay. However the book is great and I can't recommend it enough in particular to newbies like us.

If you are going to replace the springs then you can get a complete Watling kit of springs and some useful tools from Bernie Berten Co, the link is;

http://www.mrslot1.com/

Whatever you decide do, keep us all updated with your progress.

Best, Lol
Lol

Postby 1th » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:34 am

Thank you lol I'm not sure what I'm going to do I'm a bit reluctant to sell it I don't want someone to buy it who dont no what there looking at and be in the same boat as me it's not fair on them I did pay a lot for this merchain all in with shipping £1750 and I don't think I can get that back thank you for the tip on the book I will get one now many thanks terry
1th

Postby Lol » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:31 am

Hi Terry
Well you should certainly be applauded for not wanting to sell it and put another person in the same position that you find yourself in. That tells me that you are a good person.

At £1750 yes you are into it for a lot. However as mentioned in the previous posts the parts are worth a considerable sum should you decide to break the machine up. Being a novice I could not tell you what the parts are worth. You have supplied lots of good photos. I am sure that from those photos other forum members could give you some idea what the better parts would be worth.

It does sound to me like you want to persevere and try to get it working. The pictorial guide should help you establish what parts are missing and how everything works. It covers almost everything but not the mint vendor. But to be honest I think that you should just concentrate on the mechanism and escalator. Other forum members with their expertise should be able to tell you if this can be accomplished with what parts you have. Or if not then what parts you will need to get the mech going. I am sorry that I can't help you more with this but my own knowledge is just slightly above zero.

I don't know what area of the UK you live in? I did find this repair service on the internet for the U.K.

http://www.slotmachinedepot.co.uk/

They are based in Stevenage, Herts. I don't have any connection to this company and don't know them at all. I am just passing the information on in case it can be of any use to you.

Best, Lol
Lol

Postby 1th » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:25 am

Thanks lol do you no where the serial numbers are as I can't find any many thanks terry
1th

PreviousNext

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions