watling rol-a-top bird of paradise 1934 need help

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: watling rol-a-top bird of paradise 1934 need help

Postby 1th » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:39 am

Has anyone got any photos showing where the serial numbers are thanks terry
1th

Postby 1th » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:29 am

Just a update there is no serial number on the right of the case next to the horn there is no number on the bonnet in the little box and there is no number on the right of the cash box has anyone got any clue why there all missing thanks terry
1th

Postby watlingboy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:29 am

The serial number appeared 3 places on your machine, on the paper inspection sticker, which is gone, on the edge of the case. That number is close to the front edge of the top casting and past the 2nd coin return, not near the cornucopia. The 3rd place is at the end of the wood block that is to the right of the coin box. The serial can also occasionally be found on the end of the center wood block and the one to the far left. The serial does not appear on the casting as with early cast in horns. Serials numbers were removed when operators sold machines, thinking they could not be traced back to them if they removed the serial. I have seen people grind off the numbers and hit them with ball peen hammers to make them unreadable. You will occasionally see the patent numbers ground off the back bonnet because people thought these were serial numbers. The serial never appeared on the mechanism unless you're talking about pre WWI machines.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby 1th » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:34 am

Hello watling boy so this is normal not to have any serial numbers at all as my watling has not one serial number
1th

Postby watlingboy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:25 pm

No, not normal but occasionally they are removed. Usually they find the sticker and the wood block but miss the edge of the case. That number is stamped very lightly and if the case has been repainted, which I think yours has, the new paint may have covered it up.

Watlingoy
watlingboy

Postby 1th » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:30 pm

Iv taken the paint off but there is nothing
1th

Postby 1th » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:34 pm

Watling boy do you have a rol a top for sale or do you no anyone with one for sale
1th

Postby clubconsoles » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:45 am

Hi Terry
I can recommend this chap, Henry Powell, here is the link-
http://www.1armedbandit.co.uk/

To be honest, this was not an ideal choice for a first machine as it will cost you a LOT of money to get this right.
I would think about taking this to Henry Powell as you are new to this and he is in the UK.

You can discuss all the issues face to face as there are Many!
I am Happy to admit that I love to see new collecters discussing there first machines on here, but there is only so much you can do via the forum, especially with someone who lacks experience of these machines
You could spend months posting on this forum and make very little progress with the actual physical work required!
I am sure Henry would welcome looking over it with you and discussing the various options open at no charge.
He has done a lot of restorations of Rol a tops and he is the man, in the UK, anyway.

Good luck

Nigel
clubconsoles

Postby clubconsoles » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:02 am

Should have mentioned, Terry, 100% agree with what lol and the other posters have said.
I am no Watlang expert, but the advice from Stephane and Watlingboy is top notch, for sure, they really know their Watlings.
Wish I had this sort of advice around when I bought my first machine in 94.
Like most knew collectors on here, I learnt the hard way, that's all part of this hobby, you win some you lose some.
I got stung on a shooting gallery just last year, agreed to buy it over the phone, big mistake, sold it on via ebay with an Honest description and took the hit, that's all you can do.
I felt proper gutted that after 22 years collecting, i still got stung.
I wouldn't even put it in my Games room. I hid it in a storage room under a blanket until the auction was won and took it out to box it up and have it shipped.

Don't forget to make room for your next purchase, for one machine is NEVER enough, lol!
clubconsoles

Postby Lol » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:29 am

Hi Terry
It has been a year since you purchased your Rol-A-Top. How have you got on? Were you able to get the mechanism going? I have also sent you a PM.
Best, Lol
Lol

Previous

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions