Mills Jewel Bell

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Jewel Bell

Postby larrylwill » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:30 pm

I just acquired a mills jewel bell, here is a picture. Image
I would like to try and restore it myself. I am ordering a book but I need minimum a coin mechanism and real papers. I searched for parts 2 months ago and found a supplier for the coin mec but I cant find it again, even in my history.
SO can someone point me to a parts supplier?
thank you
larrylwill

Re: Mills Jewel Bell

Postby TheFatman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:57 pm

You will ne3ed more than that. MrSlots (Dave Burton http://www.mrslot1.com/ ) has the reel strips and might be able to locate an escalator. But chances are if it was taken off the machine.... its because it looks pretty rusty. Take the reel bundle off and try soaking the base part of the assembly in Mineral Spirits. That will strip just about all of the old grease and some of the rust. DO NOT BEAD OR SAND BLAST the mech. There is a coating on most of the main parts that helps it withstand excessive corrosion so most of that might be surface rust. When done ... air blast and wire brush all you can (brass brush) ... and then relube the moving parts. Dont use WD40 or any other lubricant on the coin slides. They are designed to work dry and any lube will attract dirt and dust and slowly cause them to hang up.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby larrylwill » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:28 am

I already contacted Dave hes looking for a 5 cent coin elevator. Im sure the elevator is going to cost me more that I paid for the machine. $50 It looks worse than it is, It was sitting in someones garage and its very dirty and had a mouse nest inside and 1 Canadian nickel. It doesn't look like much rust on the working guts, there is a little on the inside base and sides but not much. The outside has a little also. I found a great blog with pictures on restoring a mills slot but I don't think the guy finished it. http://www.slotrestoration.com/2010/01/ ... beginning/ He said he would be talking more in his next chapter but I cant find the next chapter.

I am also going to order Owners Pictorial Guide for the Care and Understanding of the Mills Bell Slot Machine

larrylwill

Postby JHSS-1944 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:30 am

Well, at least you found a machine that's "easy" to restore. tons of these high tops made & still around ; complete & in parts.
Dave is very good on Mills parts, has a very good inventory. Also he's very knowledgeable !!
from this simple photo , looks like you "might" be missing a few other small parts.
that site is actually of some good help. the book is fairly good, might have to re-read some sections over to understand all that is mentioned.

clean the out side with a rag in hot water... might not have to repaint anything their.
I own it's sisters, a dime version & a 25 cent version.
should be a straight forward , easy restoration for you. need help... just ask away right here ! many knowledgeable people on this site.
jeff
JHSS-1944

Postby Richard13 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:39 am

Hey I have three of those books PM me and let's make a deal I will sell for way less than retail too. I don't need three lol!
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby larrylwill » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:40 am

It definitely need painting, also I see a couple of stop springs missing. A small amount of rust but mostly dirt and grease.

Where can I find original paint schemes? I hate the rust red color.

larrylwill

Postby sam2002 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:09 am

I have an escalator for that machine you are correct it will be a little more than you paid for the machine . . There is an excellent dvd that will walk you through the restoration for this machine . Also I believe Dave has dvd's for this restoration .
sam2002

Postby JHSS-1944 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:28 am

yep, a little more beat up then I thought (paint wise). these colors are correct ! a burgundy shade red. dark blue, lower wood sides are silver strips on black (not gloss). wood base also black.
stripes on the metal plate ,next to the reels.... in Burgundy ,as your's is ,or on rare occasions dark blue.
most of the "mills" plates in dark blue, few in burgundy , same for the rarer "JEWEL" name plate.
strips around the jackpot window chrome ,seem to be always burgundy.

remember, this machine was the start of the Mills high top line up. so all that came afterward basic look the same. If you don't care for these colors simple, look on Google images for other high tops. for a better match, look for the machines with the Same jackpot frame design / size, there's 3 different over the years. then again ,go nuts & do it anything you want, it is after all ,your machine !!
don't hurry on the restoration, you'll be Much happier later.
when dealing with Dave , never hesitate to send a photo or 2, in a fast look he'll see what might be missing or what might be "bent" ect. he knows his stuff.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby larrylwill » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:00 pm

Jeff:
Thank you

I have sent pictures to Dave and am awaiting his response. As soon as I get the book from Richard I will start tearing it down.

Larry
larrylwill

Postby Richard13 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:26 pm

Book was sent this am on its way. Take lots of photos as you go along too close ups too. Will make re assembly easier in long run and you can start a threat and show progress.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions