Jennings Dutch Boy payout

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Jennings Dutch Boy payout

Postby TheFatman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:15 pm

Gunner ... your wheel strips are wonderful for its age... dont even attempt to change them. They add style and originality to the machine. As I am sure you have noticed... I am stickey about originality and keeping them that way, You have also done a fantastic job on cleaning the casting... not taking away from the patina .... keeping it original looking instead of a mirror finish. Good job ...
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi Paul:
Great find, and super-nice original condition. Just your fine cleaning is enough. You want to keep as much of
the original patina as possible. I wouldn't even replate the gooseneck & handle, as much as they could use it.
Apparently Jennings plated their castings, with a much thinner process than Mills, and others, as the majority
of goosenecks, handles, and handle bushings, always seem to be worn-to-hell. Why the outer part of the handle
bushing wears as much, is a mystery to me, as the handle does not rub that area, nor would anyone touch the
area a lot. On the other hand, "Little Duke" models seemed to have better plating, than the earlier goosenecks.
At least the ones that I have owned, and worked on. The only one that I remember plating the castings on, was
one that had been in a fire.
Congrats on your new treasure, Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Old Gunner » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:11 am

Thanks gentlemen, I like the reel strips, the pics I've seen with the older machines and new glossy reel strips doesn't do much for me at all. I am pretty happy how it is cleaning up. I thought about replating, but I like the original worn look as well. I just got a new tube of Flitz that will let me get the handle looking a little nicer.

I did have it hang last night, it was that way when I got it, I called it my $100.00 nickel as the seller took that much off when I couldn't see it work :) It seems right where it holds the nickel before releasing it sticks. If I raise the coins a little and let them drop it frees up, the coin drops and the handle releases. Should I lube that little latch?

I am anxious to see if I can trace the history back to the Detroit Yacht Club.
Regards
Paul
Old Gunner

Postby TheFatman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:41 pm

You can use a little PB Blaster on the lever, but for the coin hanging, you can use some 0000 steel wool to clean the path, that should allow it to pass easily.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:30 pm

Paul:
I'm confident you already know this, but just a heads-up.
While you are doing all your mechanism cleaning, with oil & lube, just make sure that your payout slides
are to be Bone Dry. No lube of any kind, as they will hang up quicker than any part, once the slightest of
dirt or dust lands on them. Also, in regards to using 0000 steel wool for cleaning, it works great, but you
have to make sure all the left-behind metal dust from it, is washed off with solvent as well.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby mechanic » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:55 pm

If you have a polishing wheel it works great on cleaning up the slides and it makes them stand out too. If you don't have a wheel then emory cloth with 3-1 oil does an excellent job also. Final step is to get all residue off. To do that get a can of electrical contact cleaner and a few paper towels spray the slides from the top to the bottom and wipe off any left over fluid. Repeat as needed !!!
mechanic

Postby Old Gunner » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:02 am

Thanks gentlemen! Please do not assume anything, I am a newbie with these guys. I have wanted one of these for 50 years :-) I am fairly mechanically inclined. I built wind generators for sailboats and portable water purifiers. My lube of choice is corrosion-x. It works great. I wet a paper towel with lube and wiped down the slide then wiped with a dry towel. I have dropped about 20 nickels and it seems fine. I really appreciate all the support on this board. It is great having a resource like ya'll! Thank you! =D>
Regards
Paul
Old Gunner

Previous

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions