Jennings Dutch Boy payout

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Jennings Dutch Boy payout

Postby Old Gunner » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:25 am

Goo day, I picked up a Jennings Dutch Boy nickel machine over the weekend. Seems to be all original, just needs a little polishing. Been playing it a little bit. Payout seems to be correct on the lower payouts, but on the bigger one (16 coins) it only put out 15. Any ideas what to look for? Is it a cleaning/lube issue? Any thought on what to look for would be appreciated. Thank you
Regards
Paul
Old Gunner

Re: Jennings Dutch Boy payout

Postby TheFatman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:17 am

Do not lube the coin slides. What coin does it use? It could be that the slides have worn some and the new coins might be a little bigger. Change the coins in the tubes to the older of the coins you have and try it then. Also make sure that the tube is full. Sometimes with older machines, if it doesn't have the weight of the coins there, it can possibly miss a coin on a higher payout. Send a pic of the machine before you do any polishing. Most of the times, the old original machines will carry a higher value if they are left original.
Dave F
Last edited by TheFatman on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheFatman

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:18 am

Probably not a problem at all.

Modern nickels are slightly thicker which causes machines to sometimes payout short on the large payouts.

I bet if you used old nickels it would be fine.

This was a problem even back in the day. That is why some machines use award cards that have ranges for the payouts.

How about posting a photo of the machine?
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:18 am

Probably not a problem at all.

Modern nickels are slightly thicker which causes machines to sometimes payout short on the large payouts.

I bet if you used old nickels it would be fine.

This was a problem even back in the day. That is why some machines use award cards that have ranges for the payouts.

How about posting a photo of the machine?
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Richard13 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:19 am

Everybody SAYS they picked up a new machine but hardly anyone posts photos...did it really happen? Would love to see photos and I bet coin tube and slides have not been cleaned in eons. Won't hurt to start there.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby Old Gunner » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:49 am

Wow! Thanks for all the fast replies! I will post a picture tomorrow. I didn't realize new nickels are thicker. I wanted to upload a pic and list the serial number hoping maybe somebody could give me a date, a little more accurate than in the 20's. Interesting was a page from a magazine advertising sky writing on one side and a powerboat on the other with a date of 1927.

I have started polishing it, sorry it is an old navy habit, broke out the Never dull first thing :D I am planning on leaving the reels alone, I like the old patina. The awards card is way faded, barely make it out. I did order a new one, but will leave the original (I think) intact. The wood sides are in nice shape with the decals in decent shape. The chrome on the coin slot is pretty much gone. I have been wanting a machine for a very long time and this one popped up a couple of miles from home. I am a happy camper.
Regards
Paul
Old Gunner

Postby TheFatman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:11 am

Gunner ... chances are that the coin entry was nickel plated for that year of machine, in case you feel like re plating it. It is ok to replace the award card if your is just bad. You might be able to fimnd an original one that is in better shape than the one you have. This is the best place for all of that. If the reel strips are in bad shape, replacing as well is acceptable. Especially if you have started the polishing on the casting. How does the paint look? ... Looking forward to the pics you post.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby Old Gunner » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:55 am

Alright folks, here are some pics, I also attached a pdf of the magazine ad that was in the cash box from September 1927. Do you all think that might be a good date about when this guy was made?
DSCI0017.JPG

DSCI0018.JPG

DSCI0021.JPG

DSCI0022.JPG
Attachments
1927 Ad.pdf
(952.41 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Regards
Paul
Old Gunner

Postby Richard13 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:17 am

Holy cow the glow in that aged oak is phenomenal. It looks like you cleaned up the castings too what a nice find! Congrats.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby Old Gunner » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:28 am

Thanks Richard, the wood is pretty. It has a layer of sticky spray furniture polish, can't wait to remove that, rub in some lemon oil and than a nice layer of paste wax.

Doing some detective work - I was looking at the ad I found and scanned in. I believe it is a page from the Detroit Yacht Club's newsletter! It is one of the oldest clubs and they built a new (now historic) club house in 1923. I just emailed them through their web page to see if somebody could verify the page is from their newsletter and if they would have any old pictures showing slot machines. It would be great if I could verify all this!
Regards
Paul
Old Gunner

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions