Caille silent sphinx help needed

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Caille silent sphinx help needed

Postby briank » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:02 pm

I just picked up a nice original Caille silent sphinx that has been in the previous owners family for 60 years. They did not know anything about the machine and I'm just learning as well...my other slots have been Jennings goosenecks. When I called about it they said it jams and they didn't know if it was a penny or dime machine as they have used both!! The payout card didn't say on it either as I thought on these they usually said up there. Anyways I bought it (pics later) ,I pulled the mech and its a dime machine. I put a dime in,pull the handle and the dime goes directly into the jackpot, a couple pennies fall out but the wheels do not spin. This old girl definitely needs a good mech cleaning but any idea why the wheels wont spin?
briank

Re: Caille silent sphinx help needed

Postby Richard13 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:30 pm

Will be interesting to hear what's in the coin tube after 60 years! Maybe some $1.29 silver dimes whoo hoo!
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby marsonion » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:37 pm

briank wrote:I just picked up a nice original Caille silent sphinx that has been in the previous owners family for 60 years. They did not know anything about the machine and I'm just learning as well...my other slots have been Jennings goosenecks. When I called about it they said it jams and they didn't know if it was a penny or dime machine as they have used both!! The payout card didn't say on it either as I thought on these they usually said up there. Anyways I bought it (pics later) ,I pulled the mech and its a dime machine. I put a dime in,pull the handle and the dime goes directly into the jackpot, a couple pennies fall out but the wheels do not spin. This old girl definitely needs a good mech cleaning but any idea why the wheels wont spin?

The reel kicker assembly is a trouble spot for many of these Cailles. Search this discussion board using the pertinent terms, and you'll find some posts (with pics) from me and others on that. Regardless, I'll be happy to help you over the most serious humps through this forum; I've gotten dozens of '30s Cailles up and running from zero over the last several years... :twisted:

You say that every time you pull, a coin goes straight to the JP; are the reels frozen on two cherries, by any chance--?

Yes, please post pictures of your find! 8)
marsonion

Postby briank » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:32 am

Marsonion,I posted a pic in the machine wanted section and just looked,the wheels are on two cherries. Heres a picture
Attachments
20160731_214146.jpg
briank

Postby marsonion » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:23 am

OK, sorry, I missed that picture on the other thread. The two-cherry payouts are accompanied by an automatic jackpot feed (by mechanically opening up the bottom of the escalator to allow coins to drop through) and I believe your machine is stuck in this mode, naturally, since the reels won't move off that payout. However, in the picture I see a coin hanging up at the bottom where it ought to fall through; maybe jostle the machine a little to see if it drops through--? At any rate, what you describe indicates that your jackpot feed hardware is functioning normally, even if the reels aren't spinning.

Please pull the mech and post images of the upper-right-side view. Stack some coins into the cup at the front upper right, and push down on the horizontal bar across the front of the mech... watch the action (or lack thereof) of the kicker, which you should find at the position marked "A" in the accompanying image. If the little flap at the top of the kicker is "hung up" on old grease or debris and isn't engaging the teeth of the payout wheels, that's the easiest fix... unfortunately, in my experience, kicker problems are usually the result of more serious mechanical failures.

briank wrote:Marsonion,I posted a pic in the machine wanted section and just looked,the wheels are on two cherries. Heres a picture
Attachments
flap&trigger.jpg
marsonion

Postby youngjedi » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:47 pm

Hey there! Congrats on your machine. I have several Caille's and two are silent sphinx's. From what you are describing, It sounds like your pump may be empty. If so, the release happens at the end of the arm pull, as normal, and immediatly resets the machine...no timing. I have rebuilt many pumps, i even have a caille pump repair kit if needed. Remove the mech, pull the pin off the pump lever arm and lift arm off pump. try to move the pump crank forward and back. If working correctly, It will be very difficult to pull back, but easy to push forward. If it's easy both ways, the pump is dry, or there may be a part inside broken. Usually it's a dry pump. I use hydraulic fluid. I unscrew the end cap, put in fluid, manually pump it a little to remove bubbles. Replace end cap.
One way to check if the pump is faulty while cycling, take a look at the mech when cycling. Do the payout finger clear the disk? Do they slam back in immediately after mech release?
youngjedi

Postby briank » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:58 pm

The pump was almost dry, I filled it and re installed it. I also had a problem with one of the reels hitting something due to some of the spokes becoming unsoldered. The slot works,pays and fills the jackpot like it should. The only thing I need to fine tune is the speed in which the reels spin...meaning I need to figure out how to speed them up.
briank

Postby youngjedi » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:11 pm

Usually, on all the machines i have rebuilt (CAslotrestorations), I have found that the reels are 'dragging' on the axel and need to be properly cleaned and lubed. You can slide the mech out to get access to the timing screw on the pump and tighten it slightly. Slide mech back in, lock it, and play. The reels will free spin now and the machine will not wind down. That's ok, were doing this to check how freely the reels spin. Give one reel a spin. It should spin freely and for a long time WITHOUT the other reels spinning. Do this for each reel.

If any reel spins from the other reel, Then there may be a little drag from touching each other. I'll usually spend much time to get them not to touch each other.

If not, check the reel spin itself. Does the reel stop by itself as if something is dragging on it? Remember, it should spin freely and easily with just a little spin. When i reassemble machines, i make sure of two thing...the inside of the reel hub is clean almost to a polish. Also polish the axel if needed. Some people use vaseline to lube the axel. I find mixing a couple drops of 3 in 1 oil (sewing oil, zap spout oil) with the vaseline, you can get a nice slick coating on the axel. This really helps the reels "ride" on a near frictionless fluid. VERY little lube is required.
youngjedi

Postby Richard13 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:05 am

Hey youngjedi great info on the repair and walk through for this machine issue. I'm looking at
a Caille Superior don't know if it has a clock or a pump yet but I know who to come to. Thanks
for sharing.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby Regecon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:14 am

My Caille Cadet has had almost the identical problem. My reels are lined up on two cherries. I found part "A" (in earlier picture) to be gummed up. I also disassembled my pump and added a little hydraulic fluid. I found part "B" (in earlier picture) to be a little gummed up but have not cleaned the mechanism. Any thoughts on why my reels still do not spin?
Regecon

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions