Caille silent sphinx help needed

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Caille silent sphinx help needed

Postby briank » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:47 am

Do they spin at all?
briank

Postby Regecon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:28 am

The reels can spin (but they do not spin) when you insert a nickle and then simultaneously hold down the horizontal bar on the back of the machine.
Regecon

Postby briank » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:50 am

Do you mean the bar at the front of the machine? Whats your kicker doing? Do you have good pictures of your mechanism you can post?
briank

Postby Regecon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:53 am

I am apparently not allowed to post images on this board as they are coming from my personal pc. But I can send them to you. My email is regecon@yahoo.com. The horizontal bar that I am referring to is on the back of the machine right behind the reels.

Originally I had two cherries together. I cleaned the flipper marked A. I opened the pump and it was dry and so I added a little hydraulic fluid. When I push down on the kicker after I insert a nickel, it goes all the way down and nothing happens except a slamming sound. But when I lift the horizontal bar on the back, and I push down on the kicker, the reels are able to spin but they do not.
Regecon

Postby marsonion » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:34 pm

Regecon wrote:I am apparently not allowed to post images on this board as they are coming from my personal pc. But I can send them to you. My email is regecon@yahoo.com. The horizontal bar that I am referring to is on the back of the machine right behind the reels.

Originally I had two cherries together. I cleaned the flipper marked A. I opened the pump and it was dry and so I added a little hydraulic fluid. When I push down on the kicker after I insert a nickel, it goes all the way down and nothing happens except a slamming sound. But when I lift the horizontal bar on the back, and I push down on the kicker, the reels are able to spin but they do not.

Your problem sounds more like an overall cycling disruption than a kicker malfunction specifically. On the left front of the mechanism you should see a rack that looks sort of like a dog's tail; there is a ratchet pawl on the horizontal drive bar that should engage this rack to begin the cycle. That pawl may be unsprung, or it may have worn-through over the years as they are wont to do. Check that those parts are working properly, because if they aren't, all you'll have is a slam-bang recoil (such as you describe) instead of a cycle which would properly launch the reels.

Also, I'm curious as to how you got the pump refilled like it was no problem-- did you find it that easy to get it apart? That's always been a pretty serious chore for me, no matter how many times I've done it! :oops:
marsonion

Postby MONTI » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:55 pm

Regecon wrote:I am apparently not allowed to post images on this board as they are coming from my personal pc.

To Upload a jpeg file, a picture!

You should be able to upload pictures to the Forum as after you hit POST REPLY
below the text box you would select "Upload attachment"
then
select "BROWSE"
which should then look at your desktop!
If your jpeg's "pictures" are on the Desk Top Screen
then you would just select the jpeg file
then the jpeg file should show up in the box to the right of "BROWSE"
and you would then select "Add the file"

this should work for you!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby Regecon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:46 pm

I see the dog tail and the ratchet paw. When I push down on the horizonal bar the ratchet paw catches onto the teeth of the dog tail. I can push the horizontal bar all the way down to the end. When there are no more teeth on the dog tail, I hear a slamming sound and nothing happens. Here are some photos that I just learned how to upload.

The pump was easy to unscrew at the bottom. I just grabbed it with my hands and unscrewed it. The inside was dry. The top of the pump has a little air hole. I did not fill the pump much if at all because the hydraulic fluid goes out the air hole. But who knows,,,maybe I did something wrong.
Attachments
0219171537.jpg
Dog Tail and pump
0219171323.jpg
Side of machine
0219171322.jpg
Side of machine
0219171321.jpg
Back of machine
0219171320.jpg
Front of machine
Regecon

Postby briank » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:10 pm

Did you fill the pump that runs vertically? Dont think that gets fluid. The pump that usually needs attention such as mine did and mine seemed to do the same thing yours is doing is the hydraulic pump on the bottom right. Probably leaked dry. Be careful with it as they are expensive if you can find one.
briank

Postby marsonion » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:05 pm

I think briank is correct, you're confusing the pneumatic damper (which has an "air hole" at the top) with the device usually called the "pump," which is a hydraulic dashpot regulator located at the bottom right rear of the mech when viewed from behind. A dry pump will act like a clock that's lost its fan; that is, it will provide no resistance to the recoil of the mech, and would also explain your "slam-bang" malfunction. Remove this device-- it is held by three screws to the frame-- and push the crank arm back and forth; if it offers no resistance in both directions, then it is probably dry. If this is the case, try following the instructions I offered to another forum member on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3713

BTW if you would, please post a picture of your slot's cabinet. From the looks of the mech, I suspect it is actually a Commander rather than a Cadet.
marsonion

Postby Regecon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:20 am

I am attaching two photographs. The first one is a picture of the front of the machine. The second one is of the pump. The pump lever resistance is inconsistent. When I pull it rearward (as if I was pulling it towards the rear of the machine), there is some resistance at times and then no resistance. There is no resistance when I push it forward (toward the front of the machine). The rather large endcap has been buggered a little bit. It is as if someone tried to put a set of visegrips on it. I believe that I have a socket that large enough to take it off. But is the endcap to be removed to refill the pump? Second, what does the adjustment screw do? Should I first try and adjust the pump by turning the adjustment screw one way or the other?
Attachments
0220170758.jpg
Hydraulic pump
0220170757.jpg
Front of the machine case
Regecon

PreviousNext

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions