How to empty coin tube

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

How to empty coin tube

Postby briank » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:39 pm

Can anybody explain how to empty the coin tube on a Caille silent sphinx. Mine has a bunch of pennies in it (its a dime machine) that I need to get out. Thanks
briank

Re: How to empty coin tube

Postby marsonion » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:29 pm

briank wrote:Can anybody explain how to empty the coin tube on a Caille silent sphinx. Mine has a bunch of pennies in it (its a dime machine) that I need to get out. Thanks

Attached is a patched-together graphic of the back-door paper from a Dough-Boy. The process for emptying the coin tube should be very similar for your Sphinx, except you can ignore the "lever N" part; just put a coin in the receiver at the upper right of the mech.
Attachments
DoughBoyDoorPaper.jpg
marsonion

Postby sam2002 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:42 pm

Turn the mech upside down and shake vigorously !
Just kidding ! Haha !
You may have to remove the coin tube from the mech , those pennies may not go into the slides
sam2002

Postby marsonion » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:57 pm

sam2002 wrote:Turn the mech upside down and shake vigorously !
Just kidding ! Haha !
You may have to remove the coin tube from the mech , those pennies may not go into the slides

I agree-- and there's only two or three screws to undo before you can pull that coin tube, and that's the way I do it anyway-- but I wasn't too thrilled at the prospect of trying to walk anybody through it cold... :(
marsonion

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:09 pm

sam2002 wrote:Turn the mech upside down and shake vigorously !
Just kidding ! Haha !

If you have a real U.S. dime machine, it's really a mystery, as to how those pennies got as far as the coin tube.
But now that they are in there, I doubt very much, they will enter the slides, and if they do, they are sure to
jamb the slides up big time.
I really don't think you have a foreign export model, made to play on 6pence, which is what usually accepts
either a penny or a dime, because I am not aware of "Superior" or "Sphinx" models being done at that time.
If there was, I am sure Freddy will educate us on it.
Good luck on your disassembly. I would also remove the slide set. Not only to make sure they are squeaky-clean,
but to see if a penny will fit the hole, as well as the coin height in the slide. Do the same tests with the dimes.
If I had one of these models in dime play, I would now be curious to see if I could get a penny to feed through.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby briank » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:24 am

What I have found odd with this machine is that the award card which usually has the denomination on it does not. The reason I think it is a dime machine is because when I slid the mechanism out of the cabinet it has 10c stamped on the top of it. Anything else to look for to id it? Story goes that the 68 year old lady got it from her late father who had it for 60 years. Her father rescued it from a supper club in Wisconsin that was getting demolished.
briank

Postby briank » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:39 am

Another question until I purchase reference material...on the main operating bar ,what is suppose to attach to this hole (pictured with a wood stick pointing to the threaded hole)
Attachments
20160803_083448.jpg
briank

Postby oldslotman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:41 am

detachable bolt handle. Used to cycle machine outside of cabinet
oldslotman

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions