Token Sense Mechanism Removal

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Token Sense Mechanism Removal

Postby RameGoom » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi All,

I'm wanting to get this Mills machine working smoothly for home use, and have read that the check sense mechanism is never used, and is often troublesome on home-use machines. Since there is no real need for it, would it be prudent to remove any check-related components? The part I am looking to remove is indicated by the red arrow:
war-eagle-token-part.jpg

Also, there looks to be a vender trip mechanism, again, not needed, indicated by the green arrow. Seems this entire assembly would serve no real purpose but not sure if it's a good idea to remove it.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks for all your input.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Re: Token Sense Mechanism Removal

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:10 pm

If the machine is adjusted properly that part should not present a problem.

I would leave it on. If you do take it off put it in a baggy and in the coin box so it can be put back on.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Richard13 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:15 pm

No vendor on the machine or do you just want to remove ancillary hardware? If you have a vendor and do not want to use it
I know a guy that would like those parts!!
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby mechanic » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:24 pm

RameGoom wrote:Hi All,

I'm wanting to get this Mills machine working smoothly for home use, and have read that the check sense mechanism is never used, and is often troublesome on home-use machines. Since there is no real need for it, would it be prudent to remove any check-related components? The part I am looking to remove is indicated by the red arrow:
war-eagle-token-part.jpg

Also, there looks to be a vender trip mechanism, again, not needed, indicated by the green arrow. Seems this entire assembly would serve no real purpose but not sure if it's a good idea to remove it.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks for all your input.

Looking at the picture where the red arrow is, you see the part with the spring on it to the right, thats the check shut off lever. The lever as it is now is on. To shut it off put a coin in and pull the handle just as the reels kick pull the lever back with your thumb and hold it till the mech finishes its cycle. Leave it in the off position. So many of these units have been removed because no one knew how to turn them off. Look along side the vertical fingers on the next pull, the hook should not engage. If it does repeat the process again.
mechanic

Postby RameGoom » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:09 pm

Yep, I read about that little switch. It can disable the check feature. I was thinking, just remove the unused stuff which would make the mechanism simpler and probably easier to understand. There are other anti-tampering items as well, like the tilt lever and the coin shutoff door on the bottom of the coin outlet, which were in place to prevent thieves from hacking into the slot. Those days are behind us, so they're simply in the way, and if they malfunction, the slot won't operate.

Just thinking ahead. But whatever I remove, I'll store inside the machine for future generations to gawk at.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions