Working on my U Select It

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Working on my U Select It

Postby d12bn » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:24 am

So I'm thinking of pressure washing it next, what do you recommend? It is covered in lubricant I used to free up everything.
How should I restore all the metal moving parts? Sandblast? Chemical? Then how do you seal them to prevent from rusting?
Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EipW6_tbNG8
Vintage Vending Machine Discussions Repairs And Sales
https://www.facebook.com/groups/151347598650253/
d12bn

Re: Working on my U Select It

Postby Richard13 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:15 pm

Depends on your pain threshold and experience. My first machine came completely apart and every part bead blasted then I borrowed a zink plating kit and zink plated each small non cast part and put it back together. Light oil the cast parts and its held up perfect for 25/30 years.

You could get some gunk or engine cleaner and spray it on let it soak and wash it of but then you must dry everything thoroughly and completely and fast. Maybe even use some alcohol in a spray bottle and an air compressor to speed it up. Alcohol and water mix and then evaporate faster. If you are real brave get a few cans of cheap carb spray cleaner and spray the mechinism out doors in well ventilated area and the old grease and oil just falls off put plenty of newspapers down to catch the debris for an easy clean up.

Sandblasting is kind of harsh bead blasting requires taking it all apart but look up an air eraser at Harbor Freight Tools. Great for fine detail work and aluminum castings but the cup needs to be filled and filled often. Your choice depends on how bad it is and what you want to end up with.

If it's rusted try phosphoric acid otherwise known as Navel Jelly after de greasing and before rinsing. It works real well on rust. If you have deep rust on bigger parts pm me and I can tell/show you how to reverse rust the parts by electrolosis.
Some guys spray a clear coat on parts they strip to inhibit rust.

Let me know what you end up trying and post a few photos of the progress.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Re: Working on my U Select It

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:10 am

Hello, Welcome to the forum.
well for me, I tear them down about 50% , some times more. with every thing oiled up already ,just use a steel brush to work the oil into the rust areas,ect. then wipe off. of course you'll still have dark spots. this is for the "NOT made from the factory yesterday" look.
bead blast is o.k. depending on the type of system, specially the P.S.I. coming out of it, & the medium being used. Most are the same but, finding a machine to adjust the psi is nice & finer medium tends to be nicer. micro blasting system is very nice & uses a finer gray medium (sorry not sure what is is). parts come out looking grayish, but use a nice steel brush over it back to original color. plus this doesn't beat up Aluminum parts, as basic bead blasting can.
To remove all the oil ,carb cleaner does work.
for me ,I'm lucky to have a machine at work = Enslove. removes any type of oil based anything.
for protection; use a "dry" silicon spray on the parts or matte clear coat is good.

many others out there been doing this a lot longer than me.... we'll see what they say.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions