Where to get slug rejector springs?

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Where to get slug rejector springs?

Postby d12bn » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:27 am

I have a 1940's National 5 cent slug rejector. Where can I buy springs ?
Attachments
image.jpeg
Vintage Vending Machine Discussions Repairs And Sales
https://www.facebook.com/groups/151347598650253/
d12bn

Re: Where to get slug rejector springs?

Postby nvmos2 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:21 pm

You may find what you need at the local Lowe's or Home Depot.
They actually have a decent selection of springs.
When they don't have it, I've been able to find good replacements at a local Mom & Pop hardware store (I think they are under the Ace Hardware umbrella),
which seems to concentrate on stocking specialty items not found at the big box stores.
Caution; Proper tension is as important (I'm sure you are already aware of this) as size/lenght, maybe more so.

If you've had no success locally, try mrslot1.com for springs.
nvmos2

Postby RameGoom » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:02 pm

Personally, I would just hard-wire it, making *any* coin flow thru to the coin box, and switch without regard to slugs or worn coins. You won't ever need to worry about slugs, or any cheats for that matter, in a home environment.

Sort of like disabling a check sensor on an old slot machine; odds are you'll never need to use them anyway. Unless you insist on absolute purity, then leave it. But it seems all the anti-cheat mechanisms put in place on any old coin op machine eventually find a way to hamper its simple function, cause jams, and make you have to remove the mechanism to clear the malfunction. I'd bet at least some of the machines owned by avid collectors are temporarily "non-functional" because of the hassle in tearing into the mech to unjam it.

Future generations likely will prefer to have a smooth running machine as opposed to an occasional jammed mechanism.

**Disclaimer** This is only my personal opinion. Feel free to disregard it as a short-sighted collector not "getting" it.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby d12bn » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:35 am

I'm trying to keep it as original as possible. I like all the moving parts but have no worries about slugs/fake coins because its at my home and only friends and family will use it. I thought about forcing it to accept all coins. But not sure if smaller or bigger coins would jam it. I would like it to take any slug/coin the size of a nickel and reject the rest.
RameGoom what are you thinking when you say hard wire? And how would you do it?
Thanks!

RameGoom wrote:Personally, I would just hard-wire it, making *any* coin flow thru to the coin box, and switch without regard to slugs or worn coins. You won't ever need to worry about slugs, or any cheats for that matter, in a home environment.

Sort of like disabling a check sensor on an old slot machine; odds are you'll never need to use them anyway. Unless you insist on absolute purity, then leave it. But it seems all the anti-cheat mechanisms put in place on any old coin op machine eventually find a way to hamper its simple function, cause jams, and make you have to remove the mechanism to clear the malfunction. I'd bet at least some of the machines owned by avid collectors are temporarily "non-functional" because of the hassle in tearing into the mech to unjam it.

Future generations likely will prefer to have a smooth running machine as opposed to an occasional jammed mechanism.

**Disclaimer** This is only my personal opinion. Feel free to disregard it as a short-sighted collector not "getting" it.
d12bn

Postby RameGoom » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:52 am

If you inspect the mechanism and observe its operation, you'll see that the coin needs to be a certain weight in order for it to divert into the proper channel. A slightly lighter or heavier coin will cause that mechanism to route the coin to the reject channel. There's also a magnet that causes a steel "slug" to be diverted into the slug channel.

By blocking the reject path, you can position the coin path to always enter the proper channel using a stop pin or wire in the reject path to keep it on that track. And the counterweight will work with all coins, so blocking the wrong path keeps the coins in the right path. That said, any coin will always work and make it to the proper channel to run the machine.

You'll likely have a cup full of new nickels that will be the only coins going into your machine, so no worries about slugs, washers, etc. All the coins will be the same.

Keep the original parts with the machine, in the coin box, and no matter how you modify it, one can always restore it back to original. Keep notes and pics as well, just for posterity.

Just a few suggestions, but preventive measure of having to pull the mechanism out of the case to un-jam a coin would be a major plus.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby d12bn » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:13 am

After completely disassembling cleaning and polishing then making a torsion spring my coin mech is working perfectly
Attachments
IMG_1483.JPG
d12bn

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions