Minimizing Coin Jams

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Minimizing Coin Jams

Postby RameGoom » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:08 am

Thinking about reducing maintenance on an antique, here's an example of a part that, by removing it, reduced coin inlet jams. It's on a mills Hi-Top quarter machine, with the tractor mechanism.

The function of the lever (red arrow) is to keep only one coin in play at a time. Once you insert a coin, the lever blocks the inlet path until that coin is played. Trouble was, the second coin in the staged area occasionally wouldn't release because that lever kept it hung up. I'd have to fish it out with a pick, or remove the bonnet cover to pluck it out. And also,sometimes the lever wouldn't fully return to it's normal position, thus preventing even the first coin from dropping down to the tractor inlet.

So I removed the lever.

Now, I can "stage" two or even three coins in the path without a jam - so far. It seems to have eliminated a common jam point.
coin_block.jpg
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Re: Minimizing Coin Jams

Postby flipper77 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:12 am

Everyone has their own philosophy on machine originality. I find the second coin detect/hold lever to be fairly easy to adjust for free movement and proper operation. May have to bend slightly for proper fit especially at top. And the correct shoulder bolt is necessary. I bought a group of these Mills levers on eBay (guess lots of folks remove these from their machine) and I have added these to all of my Mills escalator machines if missing. I just like to see the second coin hold in the coin entry and drop once the machine is played as it was originally set up to function. That said, I just sold a dime Castle Front and , have to admit, did show the buyer how to remove the lever if a dime hangs up more than once. Flip.
flipper77

Re: Minimizing Coin Jams

Postby JHSS-1944 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:42 am

of all my mills machines , only 1 still has this part in place, rest removed Long ago. 1 or 2 even have the metal piece it connects to ground off. I never looked on line to find / buy a few to put back on, just never thought about it.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions