Hello my name is Rick

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Hello my name is Rick

Postby Nickelslot » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:03 pm

Hello my name is Rick and I'm a slotaholic. Have been collecting coin op machines for a long time now. I pretty much can fix up a basic mills or Jennings machine without too much problems. I have been reading the posts here for a while and got lots of good info from your membership.

I am in a quandary on what to do on a machine I have been sitting on for a while like an egg I'm trying to hatch. It's a low three digit Check Boy. I have read to not restore these old classics machines but this one is just not pretty. The wood cabinet is good I cleaned it up with soap and water then oil soap and saved both decals and brought up the nice color of the wood.

I cleaned all the castings and the main front casting looks presentable but the handle, marquis and pay cup assembly are crusty with sharp nickel plating flaking off.

What is the general consensus on a 1907 machine that works, should I re plate these few parts or live with it?

Thanks everyone
Nickelslot

Re: Hello my name is Rick

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:31 am

Hi Rick:
Welcome to our Forum. If you have been collecting coin-op for a long time, I may possibly already have you in my files.
As far as restoration on your "Check Boy", I would need to see pix of how bad the plating is. As much as I like to keep
machines as original as possible, there are times when it is OK to restore. If you do decide to replate your castings, just
make sure they are done in the proper Watts Nickel ONLY. There are some 'so called' restorers, that 'Over-Restore', and
chrome plate castings, and add glitzy colors, that never were. As much of a sin it is to do that to a 3 reeler, it is a mortal
sin to do it to an early machine like yours. I have restored about five "Check Boys" for customers over the years, and two
of them were beyond saving the originality, and had to be completely redone. One customer requested that I have the
plating done in Satin Watts Nickel, after he had seen a job I did on a Freund "Tric-It". Sounds like your wood case was in
pretty decent shape, and you saved it, so that's a plus. Hopefully your mechanism is complete & working, and have good
paper. Let me know what you decide, and if you need any other pointers.
You can also e-mail me directly at (slotdynasty@sbcglobal.net).
Good luck, Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Nickelslot » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:21 am

Here are some photos I took before work today maybe you can get a better idea to plate them or leave as is.
IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4571.JPG

IMG_4567.JPG
Attachments
IMG_4569.JPG
Nickelslot

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:00 pm

they look fine.
i would leave them alone.
something is only original once.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby JHSS-1944 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:58 am

Welcome to the forum !!
my 2 cents..... over all would look better replated (properly), let it shine as it did when it left the factory. besides ,if you have to resell it tomorrow, you can get more money for it , no getting talked down on the price , since "I" have to replate it ,ect., ect.
looks very nice over all.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby YourBestBet » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:41 am

Leave them original. Original unmolested machines in working condition are most desirable.
YourBestBet

Postby Nickelslot » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks Guys I put it all back together they way it is for now. Tried to fill
It with buffalo nickels and ran out at 700!! I think it will hold 1000 or
So. Plays good is quieter than my 20's machines until it hits the $2 dollar payout that is cool! On to the next challenge an early 20's Jennings vendor with defered pay.
Nickelslot

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions