Electromechanical Skeeball Machine Restoration

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Electromechanical Skeeball Machine Restoration

Postby jocdvm2 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:31 am

Machines Pre-Restoration.JPG
Machines Pre restoration
I am restoring a pair of electromechanical Skee Ball Machines. I have a couple of questions. I am not sure whether it is appropriate to list them all in one post. If not, I apologize as I am new to this. I have attached a few pictures to help in understanding my questions.

1. In the scoring chutes (see pre-restoration picture) there is a spongy foam material with a very sticky bottom. Does anyone know if this is original or added to control noise after production? It is about 1/4 inch in thickness. Regarding the foam, since the scoring takes place based on the offset of the tines, if I leave them off I would have to reset the offsets (may be a touchy thing to do).

2. I have soda blasted the tines and mech (see post-soda blasting pic) to remove the built up oils. Do I need to clear coat these now to prevent rusting? I sales person in an auto store recommended Fluid Film penetrant and lubricant. It is lanolin based. Will this just collect and cause dust to adhere to the parts (undesirable).

3. What type of lubricant is recommended for the moving parts? I have seen in many places to avoid WD40. The autocrats guy recommended Super Lube with Syncolon (PTFE). Would that be the same lubricant as for the ball return parts?

4. For the Ball return parts, there is rust and paint on them. What is the best way to remove the rust (soda blasting doesn't work on rust)?

5. Skee Ball has been sold to Bay-Tek Games. They still have the green cork Carpet (they just released their centennial machine using it) and scoring rings, sand pads etc. Does anyone know where I can get cotton rope netting? There is an eBay store that sells black nylon netting, but I prefer white.
Attachments
Ball Return Part 2.JPG
Ball Return part
Scoring Chutes - post soda blasting.JPG
Scoring chute post soda blasting
Scoring Chutes - pre-restoration.JPG
Scoring chute pre-restoration
jocdvm2

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions