Mills Check Boy

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Check Boy

Postby Richard13 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:26 pm

I found a good deal on a 1907 Mills Check Boy that only needed two small brackets and a piece of glass to hold the coins played for verification. It also needed the reel and reel strip. I asked around for the reel with no luck but that did not deter me from trying to fab one up. One of the other forum members gave me the approximate dimensions on his machine and shared some photos. The 12 inch diameter easy a piece of 12 inch ductwork. Some cutting to rough size and stripping of the zink was in order.
IMG_4615.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG

After this was done I hand hammered over the edges to fit the reel I bought from Rick Frink thanks
Rick.
IMG_4642.JPG

Now the hard part I needed something with five spokes that was factory made I could modify for the base of the reel. Something already round easy to find the center on. Only took 30 minutes or so to come up with a 1200 foot 16mm film spool. Went to eBay and for $8 bucks found one with five spokes. Had to grind off the rivets to get the sides apart from the core. Already had a spindle hole in it right size for the projector and put it on the Check Boy and marked and drilled for the hub screws.
IMG_4655.JPG

A little grinding and soldering and final adjustments then some rattle can black paint, along strip up on the one 40 coin payout and bend the reel sides over onto the strip.
IMG_4658.JPG

Is it correct no I can and am looking for an original one but until then I'm very happy. Hope you enjoyed this and were not bored.

IMG_4708.JPG
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Re: Mills Check Boy

Postby JHSS-1944 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:59 am

Fantastic work Richard !! helping to save one old machine at a time from being striped out / junked.
Isn't great well a plan comes together.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby briank » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:20 am

Very nice job. I love the challenge of fixing old things. Whenever I have new challenge and go to the hardware store (or internet..like you on ebay) I have to scour through everything to see what may work. Guys at the hardware store dont seem to be interested in getting older things to work anymore so I usually tell them they wont have a clue as to what I am doing.
briank

Postby Rick-okc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:01 pm

Fantastic Richard. That is a great looking machine.
I have a Le Comete that may be somewhat similar mech wise if you need pictures for your machine.

Rick
Rick-okc

Postby sam2002 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:18 am

Hmmmmmm? A gambling device that shows movies!!! Very clever invention!

Nice work !!!
sam2002

Postby JHSS-1944 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:20 pm

Damn Sam ; you just gave Me an idea........
jeff
JHSS-1944

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:33 am

Alright Alright Guys.........You must have had too much turkey & cranberry!
Lets not start making new Fake inventions like the Vegas Butcher! [-X
Especially with an early classic like the "Check Boy".
Take a Tylenol, and go to bed, and call me in the morning! :lol:

Hope everyone had an enjoyable & filling Thanksgiving. I know I did.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions