questions on newly purchased 1947 mills bonus

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

questions on newly purchased 1947 mills bonus

Postby NACC » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:31 am

hi guys- I picked this mills up yesterday and have a few (ok... many) questions. the machine plays and pays, but things are a little loose, so new bushings will be in order.
Can I de-grease this with parts cleaner or brake cleaner? re-lube with "all-in-one" oil or a high quality gun oil? do these machines like being lubed or running dry?
this is my first slot, so be easy on me :wink:

mills bonus (10).jpg

1st- I noticed this hairline crack on the bottom plate- is this an issue? is the plate steel or cast iron? I have a nice hobart mig setup to weld aluminum and steel, but not looking to tackle cast iron (I have in the past with stoves and it was a miserable experience)
mills bonus (1).jpg

2nd- I saw this lever just sitting on the bottom- is this normal?
mills bonus (2).jpg

3rd- I notice the handle does not always return to the fully resting position after being pulled- is this the mechanism I would remove and clean / lubricate to fix that issue?
mills bonus (3).jpg

4th- I noticed these two levers- missing a spring or normal?
mills bonus (8).jpg

mills bonus (6).jpg

5th- do I just dump in dimes to fill the jackpot? how do I know when enough is enough? can I accidentally over-fill the jackpot?
mills bonus (4).jpg

6th- I noticed the "flat spot" on the wheel gear- can (should) I files down the edges or should I leave well enough alone?
mills bonus (7).jpg

thanks guys! :-)
NACC

Re: questions on newly purchased 1947 mills bonus

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:56 pm

[quote="NACC"]hi guys- I picked this mills up yesterday and have a few (ok... many) questions. the machine plays and pays, but things are a little loose, so new bushings will be in order.
Can I de-grease this with parts cleaner or brake cleaner? re-lube with "all-in-one" oil or a high quality gun oil? do these machines like being lubed or running dry?
this is my first slot, so be easy on me :wink:

OK, Being easy on you is easy!
First of all, I am not sure what you are referring to as loose. Many parts have to have a bit of sloppiness to them, as the grease will take up the slop.
Don't use any type of automotive grease, as they are generally too thick. I have been using Lubraplate White Lube for years. I does not gum-up with
time. If you do have to take-up space on a shaft or pivot-pin, use shim washers. Parts or Brake Cleaners work well, if you do not want to dismantle
entirely. Otherwise clean all loose parts with Solvent, in a parts washer tank. I use oils that are not available as 'store-bought', but you can safely use
3in1, or gun oil. The most IMPORTANT thing to remember with you reassembly, is that the payout slides DO NOT get any type of lube. They are to be
operated "BONE-DRY".

Issue #1 - Your base plate will be cast iron. The crack is no real big deal, as it is only a couple inches long, and stops at the first hole. If you do wish to
weld it, v-grove the crack slightly, and use Silver Braze, (aka Silver solder). It is very tedious work, but fill the grove, then heat the opposite
side, and it will draw the braze through the crack.
Issue #2 - Leave that lever be for now. It is for the jackpot operation.
Issue #3 - Work with cleaning & greasing the handle bushing first. if that doesn't help, you may be pulling the pump apart for a re-lube.
Issue #4 - No springs get attached to the lever or the pin-hole. Leave them be.
Issue #5 - The jackpot will fill on its own, (unless you want to hurry the process). The overflow will then be fed to the coin box.
Issue #6 - The flat spots on the code-disk stops, are no big deal. but if you want to pretty them up, a file is not going to do it quickly, as the discs are
hardened steel. Use a Dremel with a small grinder tip.

Good luck, Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Re: questions on newly purchased 1947 mills bonus

Postby TheFatman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:11 pm

As far as Bills post .... you can take it to the bank as far as I an concerned. I agree fully with his comments, especially the Lubriplate. All I can add is about the JPot fill is to go ahead and Dump some in it so you have some in the JP window. As you play, other coins will fall into it and then will also be filling a reserve pocket that is located above the JP. That will empty into the JP the next pull after the JP is won. That was done so the next pull after the JP is hit, another player wont see an empty JP. Back in the days, a full JP gets played a whole bunch more than an empty one.
Dave F
TheFatman

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions