Mills Jewel Bell -- no jackpot

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Jewel Bell -- no jackpot

Postby edgeCity » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:56 am

jackpotSlides.JPG
Jackpot -- payout slides . . . all in cocked position!
jackpotUppers.JPG
Jackpot -- upper payout levers . . . correct?
Good afternoon -- hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season!
Got a repair question regarding my Mills Jewel Bell. Works fine, pays out correctly, but the jackpot won't work.
I took the mech out of the case, and manually went through the payouts. First single and double cherries, oranges, plums, and bells. The payout slides seems to work properly, starting with the bottom slide, and moving upward through the combinations. When I set the reels on three bars, NONE of the payout slides retracted. The upper payout lever looks correct, though. See fotos. Any ideas?
Thanks / Nelson
edgeCity

Re: Mills Jewel Bell -- no jackpot

Postby oldslotman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:55 pm

Your vertical payout finger is most likely no moving the horizontal fingers far enough to the side to release the payout slides. Try replacing the spring on that bar finger that you show in the picture. Remember that bar or jackpot finger has to move all the horizontal fingers so that spring has to be strong enough to do that.
oldslotman

Postby oldslotman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:30 pm

There is also one other spring that is attached to that bar or jackpot vertical finger. It is near the bottom of the finger just above the horizontal payout fingers. It helps to move that jackpot finger.
oldslotman

Postby edgeCity » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Hey, Oldslotman . . . just getting back to this (January was a busy month)!

So today I 'hit the jackpot,' (and the coins in the window stayed put), so I immediately pulled the mech to see where things stood. As before, all the pay slides were in the cocked position. Then I pushed on the vertical jackpot payout lever, and it moved just a bit further into the holes on the reel discs, and (wallah!) the pay slides ALL retracted and the 'button' on the top pay slide elevated the jackpot trip lever (which would presumably have tripped the jackpot dump lever had the mech been in the machine).

This appears to confirm your diagnosis ("Your vertical payout finger is most likely no moving the horizontal fingers far enough to the side to release the payout slides.").

Not sure how the vertical jackpot payout lever's upper spring is keeping the lever from travelling all the way into the reel discs, but it's easy enough to address. However, you note "There is also one other spring that is attached to that bar or jackpot vertical finger. It is near the bottom of the finger just above the horizontal payout fingers. It helps to move that jackpot finger" -- will I need to remove the reel bundle to get to it?

Thanks again for your advice!
edgeCity

Postby oldslotman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:19 pm

You can see the spring here. Your machine set up may look a bit different but this is where the spring is. You have to remove the vertical jackpot finger to put a spring on it if it is not there. You also might try replacing or make the spring on the jackpot finger a little shorter. That will also work sometimes. I would try that first.
IMG_0076.JPG
oldslotman

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions