Vertical fingers need adjustment.

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Vertical fingers need adjustment.

Postby pb4sc » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi All,
So I have been trying to figure out my payout problem on my Mills Black Cherry. I have finally isolated it to the Cherry and Orange Vertical fingers. They are not moving the horizontal fingers over enough to allow the payout slides to retract. I tested the Plum, Bell, and Jackpot payouts, and they are working correctly. I have replaced the springs on the Orange and Cherry vertical fingers but still have the same issue. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to adjust these fingers? Can I just bend them, or is that too drastic? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil
pb4sc

Re: Vertical fingers need adjustment.

Postby flipper77 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:52 pm

The vertical fingers can be bent and this is fairly common. Removal and replacement of the vertical fingers is a bit of a job. Try to carefully measure how much you need to bend these two fingers to activate a payout. Then, once you remove the fingers, lay them on a blank piece of paper and trace or stencil each one. Very carefully bend the finger preferably in a vice. Then compare to your stencil to see how much the finger actually is bent. You should only need an eighth of an inch or so. Flip.
flipper77

Postby oldslotman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:52 pm

Make sure the vertical fingers are not hanging up on the reel disc. Sometime they are not centered and can get hung up by rubbing on the disc. May need the disc adjusted in stead of the fingers.
oldslotman

Postby JHSS-1944 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:08 pm

usually if it's bent , you can see it right away. easy enough to fix. you can pull the arm (s) out 1 by 1 , then lay it on it's edge & tap it with a light hammer (brass or hard plastic type will do).
mills have a tendency to bend a bit at it's thinnest spot.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby pb4sc » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to give it a shot.

Phil
pb4sc

Postby pb4sc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:48 am

Hi Everyone,
I got it working!! Just needed to bend the vertical arms slightly. I followed Flipper77's advice and took them out, outlined them on a piece of paper, marked 1/8th of an inch, bent them until they met the mark, replaced them and tested them. Working :D This forum is a life saver, as I have been battling this Mech for months. Thanks everyone for your help.

Phil
pb4sc

Postby JHSS-1944 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:24 am

Another machine saved......
JHSS-1944

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions