Best hammertone paint for restoration

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Best hammertone paint for restoration

Postby oldpinguy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:27 pm

I believe that the degree of wrinkle for the I.Bronze Wrinkle Finish depends on the drying temperature. I got either small or large wrinkles when doing various oven drying temperatures on a few trade stimulators years ago. Perhaps, it would work the same for the Hammertone. You would have to experiment. Drying inside versus in the sun(which would be almost instantly dry here in AZ 8) )could make a difference.

BTW, I believe that WD-40 is essentially Kerosene with a couple stabilizers added. Some Pinball guys call it "liquid death" because it gums up moving parts when it dries up.

Hope this helps.
oldpinguy

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:33 pm

Illinois bronze paint company was bought out by Sherwin-williams paint co. according to this post on google.
http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread ... onze-Paint
Midcoast Vintage

Postby Richard13 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:48 pm

I got best results with my project heating in oven first so paint hit warm metal which really hurried up the vehicle in the paint to evaporate faster and then back in the warm oven until cool. At least for me I could watch it wrinkle pretty fast on warm surface. About 110-120 did it for me oh and do it while the wife is out of the house helps too!
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby sam2002 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:39 am

Richard13 wrote:I got best results with my project heating in oven first so paint hit warm metal which really hurried up the vehicle in the paint to evaporate faster and then back in the warm oven until cool. At least for me I could watch it wrinkle pretty fast on warm surface. About 110-120 did it for me oh and do it while the wife is out of the house helps too!

I hate to think of what chemicals you have just released into your oven your house and what you will be eating ! Yikes!!!
sam2002

Postby Richard13 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:55 pm

It said on the can blah blah blah known to cause blah blah etc in the state of California, but I'm in Arizona :roll: !! If it has not killed me yet it probably won't. But you are right it's time to use the gas grill outside instead lol. Usually it's 110 in the sun most of the time anyway but like now it's winter and freezing cold sometimes it dips into the 50's or lower at night brrrr.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby JHSS-1944 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:28 am

Sorry Sam but, I too oven back paint on. mainly on restorations of vintage military gear. Mine has an air vent system , helps a bit. to cook , I use the micro over most of the time anyhow.......
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Previous

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions