ABT pistol disassembly

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

ABT pistol disassembly

Postby md171 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:33 am

Greetings again,

I need to get to the spring in the barrel and striker etc. I have the crow river diagrams and it looks like the end plug comes out by removing a pin, but I don't want to go tapping too hard on stuff. Can someone guide me along please.

Thanks!!
md171

Re: ABT pistol disassembly

Postby jmac » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:48 am

It is a tapered pin and should come out pretty easy from the correct side. A light tap.
If you take the pin guide out of the barrel, you will need to press it out (drill press works good) the pin guide is zinc or pot metal, and a set screw by the coin slot needs to be removed first. When pressing it back, it is a little tedious to line up properly.
jmac

Postby md171 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:04 am

Got it!! Thanks!!
md171

Postby md171 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:12 pm

Another question, how far should the firing pin stick out from the firing pin sleeve when the trigger is pulled? My gun shoots duds or not at all sometimes and the mechanism is working fine. It appears the firing pin isn't hitting the pellet enough to send it out sometimes and when the next tries to load it gets stuck in the lift chamber. I think firing pin might be too short having worn over time. Most times it shoots but weak and inconsistent a significant amount of the time. I've cleaned the loading chamber and barrel but still has this issue.
md171

Postby jmac » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:58 am

I have a similar problem with one of my abt guns, inconsistent shooting, I talked with Roger Hilden at Crow River, he is the expert of ABTs. He said to press that part out of the barrel and inspect, and then he usually reams out the end of barrel right where the pellet rests, because sometimes bumps and deformities form there from heavy use. I did that, and tested with new pellets and still has inconsistent shooting, have to take it apart again and figure out why.

Might want to talk with Roger, and maybe try new pellets.
jmac

Postby md171 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks! I caved and sent it in. Roger straightened the barrel and apparently the firing pin sleeve set screw was stripped out. Thought I had that fixed. Anyway it works now. Thanks again!!
md171

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions