Groetchen Pikes Peak Coin Mechanism Cracked/Broken

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Groetchen Pikes Peak Coin Mechanism Cracked/Broken

Postby tspang80 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:40 am

Hello all,

I am new to this site, and I appreciate any help/advise anyone can give. I recently acquired a Pikes Peak trade simulator and took it apart.
The coin mechanism is cracked which allows movement, this movement causes the penny to get stuck.
I just have a few questions:
Is there a place I might find a replacement coin mechanism?
If not, what is the best way to repair the cracks, JB Weld, Super Alloy?
Does anyone know what type of metal the coin mechanism is, cast, pot metal, aluminum?
I will try to add pictures, and again, thank you for any help on this.
Attachments
PikesPeak2.PNG
PikesPeak1.JPG
PikesPeak.JPG
tspang80

Re: Groetchen Pikes Peak Coin Mechanism Cracked/Broken

Postby toydoc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:11 am

I have one also and the stairs do not move to allow the ball to move upward. Is there a manual or instructions on how to correct this. I am not necessarily handy and the last time I took a slot machine apart was thirty years ago. I did not do a diagram and when I put it back together I had six parts left over, but it did work correctly without the missing parts. That was a different kind of machine. Thanks,
Bill
toydoc

Postby tspang80 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:43 am

toydoc wrote:I have one also and the stairs do not move to allow the ball to move upward. Is there a manual or instructions on how to correct this. I am not necessarily handy and the last time I took a slot machine apart was thirty years ago. I did not do a diagram and when I put it back together I had six parts left over, but it did work correctly without the missing parts. That was a different kind of machine. Thanks,
Bill

I only recently started doing research on this machine, and I have not come across a manual or instructions. I plan to take mine completely apart. I will try to put together a video of this process. It will take a while, but I will post it on this site when complete.
tspang80

Postby tspang80 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:24 am

I still haven't found the best way to repair the cracks.
Anybody have any ideas?

Thank you
tspang80

Postby pb4sc » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi,
Use a magnet to see if it sticks to it. If it does NOT, then it is most likely aluminum. I could be wrong, but I kinda doubt it is Aluminum. I have used JB Weld on a steel before for a hole, and it turned out OK. I would just be a little worried that some excess could get in there, dry, and prevent the mechanism from working. However, if you do it right, it will strengthen it. Another idea is seeing if a machine shop could make a replica. However, looking at it, that is going to take a lot of work, and will be super expensive.

Phil
pb4sc

Postby tspang80 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:57 pm

pb4sc wrote:Hi,
Use a magnet to see if it sticks to it. If it does NOT, then it is most likely aluminum. I could be wrong, but I kinda doubt it is Aluminum. I have used JB Weld on a steel before for a hole, and it turned out OK. I would just be a little worried that some excess could get in there, dry, and prevent the mechanism from working. However, if you do it right, it will strengthen it. Another idea is seeing if a machine shop could make a replica. However, looking at it, that is going to take a lot of work, and will be super expensive.

Phil

Thank you for the advise.
tspang80

Postby bkrsdoz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:01 pm

JB Weld is great stuff.
I would use the type that has to cure overnight rather than the quick set.
I believe it creates a stronger bond.
I have used it to repair many things that were one of a kind, or hard to find parts.
Bob
bkrsdoz

Postby Richard13 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:34 pm

Another material I use a lot of is fiberglass resin. Like the stuff corvettes used to be made of or boats. Mix up a small amount and work it into the cracks with a toothpick. It will flow into them if mixed right. That should work or the JB Weld epoxy will too. I have drilled and tapped that stuff with success.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby TheFatman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:26 pm

I swear by the JB weld for repair using the long overnight cure as well. Also, some of the units along with the Columbia slots, had their bases and side supports, among other parts, made from white metal or commonly known as "Pot Metal" do not use an acid cleaner on them at all, they will quickly dissolve, if not that weaken to a crumble point. A magnet wont stick to them either but you cant safely braze or tig or migg weld them. I find that the JB weld way, is the way to go on all pot metal parts.
Gave F
TheFatman

Postby tspang80 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Thank you all for the help!
I will post results.
tspang80

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions