Pace bantam

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Pace bantam

Postby briank » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:42 pm

20170118_092729.jpg
Screenshot_2017-01-18-15-39-29.png
Here are pics of my mills and the pace.
briank

Postby Richard13 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:52 pm

Uh oh I see a problem there are a few Watling and Jennings cotter pins in there!!
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby oldslotman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:22 pm

notice there is no brass pump in the pictures that I sent you.
oldslotman

Postby briank » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:59 pm

Doesnt the brass pump have something to do with the escalator??? Im flying blind here...
briank

Postby mechanic » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:42 pm

The pump makes the escalator move smoothly to the next index point. If the pump is missing or does not have suction the escalator wheel spins hard and can shoot a coin across the room, it spins that hard. Another pic I see with claw feet never was made originally, I'd knock off $75 on the machine to pay for having the wood base repaired. Lift finger rod is the old style 4th click. Fingers should be approx 1/4" from the reel discs. If not cycle the machine but stop the clock fan from spinning. Now see if the fingers are 1/4" from the disc plates. If they are closer then lift the pin with your fingers until you get the proper distance from the disc plates. Now see how far up the pin is from the flat plate directly beneath the pin. The distance between them is how much wear has occurred over the years. This will need to be welded up leaving about 1/64" for clearance. If more is needed you can file or grind off a couple thousandths.
mechanic

Postby briank » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:05 am

What controls the duration that the payout fingers are held back? Seems as if you pull the handle within a split second the payout fingers are released and they stop the reels. If I could figure that out...its not the drag I guess .its thw fact they aren't being held back sufficiently. Its almost the same as when I got my caille sphinx but the problem on that was the hydraulic pump.......this machine does not have that. Clock mechanism seems to work fine??
briank

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:36 am

briank wrote:What controls the duration that the payout fingers are held back? Seems as if you pull the handle within a split second the payout fingers are released and they stop the reels. If I could figure that out...its not the drag I guess .its thw fact they aren't being held back sufficiently. Its almost the same as when I got my caille sphinx but the problem on that was the hydraulic pump.......this machine does not have that. Clock mechanism seems to work fine??

Your speed problem could be with the clock running too fast. If the fan has a tight double bend,
open each side of the blade a little at a time, til you have a satisfactory speed.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby marsonion » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:45 am

briank wrote:What controls the duration that the payout fingers are held back? Seems as if you pull the handle within a split second the payout fingers are released and they stop the reels. If I could figure that out...its not the drag I guess .its thw fact they aren't being held back sufficiently. Its almost the same as when I got my caille sphinx but the problem on that was the hydraulic pump.......this machine does not have that. Clock mechanism seems to work fine??

Just speculating: the situation to me looks similar to some older Mills goosenecks I've seen... Rod "A" should ride atop plate "B" which pivots in such a way that, late in the cycle, the clock itself pushes it out from under Rod "A" which drops down, releasing the vertical fingers. It sounds as though your payout fingers are either being released too early, or "A" isn't rising to the top of "B" in the first place.
Attachments
pacerod.jpg
marsonion

Postby mechanic » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:23 pm

If the rod does not lift high enough for the plate to engage the problem is either the tongue of the vert. reset is bent up and needs to be bent back down or the main bar has a bump under the tongue and it may be worn down and would need welding. Also look under the vert. reset for grooving which is wear from lack of grease.
mechanic

Postby briank » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks for everyones input...it all helped a lot and I got it fixed. Problem was the rod in the back like the mills has. The spring that attaches to the lever that goes to the clock was too slack, not pulling the lever under the pin. There was also a pointy piece of metal on the back of a spring mount for the payout slides that was slightly in the way of the lever,not allowing it to slide under the pin. Bent the pointy piece slightly downwards and pulled the spring and took slack out and it works!! Now I have rebuild the brass pump for the escalator (as it really jumps)and fix the jackpot but those should be straightforward. We'll see about the pump....thanks again!!! Still would love to find a schematic for this darn thing.
briank

Previous

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions