Help with groetchen sparks champion

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Help with groetchen sparks champion

Postby d12bn » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Knock knock
Attachments
IMG_1926.JPG
Vintage Vending Machine Discussions Repairs And Sales
https://www.facebook.com/groups/151347598650253/
d12bn

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:53 pm

Jack ; as Bill stated these are reproduction strips , Which Bill made. He's also correct that many versions exist for this machine, depending on the reel tin "disc " combination..... less of 1 symbol ,more of another, Or as seen here , A star symbol replacing another symbol.
from what little I can see in these photos the last reel strip wasn't put on correctly (I believe) to start with.
dealing with Bill, he can help you figure out which symbols can be "covered over" ,OR which set actually will work for your machine.
Below are images of my machine, which might not match yours. note on mine, the holes through the reel tin would be the 4th symbol down from the top "BAR" = which is the gold award bar for This machine.
These photos are of my machine , just 1 example of what was made / used.
I will follow up these images later with others via another thread. I honestly thought figuring what went where would be a bit easier but, I was wrong. So really checking into it on my machine.
Who ever thought this design up was very smart & ingenious. first; 24 symbols but, only 12 actually get played (like the early 10 stop mills slot machine). then the working lay out helps prevent other possible wins.

Yes , I took mine apart to photograph these reels.
jeff H.
Attachments
reel 1.jpg
reel 2a.jpg
reel 3.jpg
JHSS-1944

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:01 am

I did try another avenue today, in hopes of shedding some further light on the "Champion" reel problem, but hit a brick wall.
I have a couple of boxes, of spare reels, for both Daval and Groetchen machines. Most don't have strips intact, but I was in
hopes of finding a fruit set, that we could match up to the machine in question. As luck would have it, Not One reel was for
a "Champion", or a "Sparks", with the Gold Award hole in the reel. I no longer have an example of either of these machines,
otherwise I would have checked them from the beginning. But, now that Jeff has shown us the symbol sequence from his
machine, I will see if I can come up with a solution from other strip sets I have.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby d12bn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:54 am

Wow thank you all very much for your help. I will continue to work it out.

Thanks
Jack
d12bn

Postby d12bn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Well the previous owner's note showing stops are incorrect. He showed on the note in a post above 9 stops on reel one, 12 stops on two and 22 on three. However just like Jeff's reels the 3rd reel has 17 stops. So I'm assuming this is one reason it is not working correctly.
So now what?
d12bn

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:39 pm

Now that I see the reels from Jeff's machine, and the 9 - 12 - 22 coded disks, those strips should have never
been ordered to place on this "Champion" model, if your disks are the same code pattern. This is going to take
awhile, to get something put together for your machine, as I have some other strips, but they are still not the
exact strips you need. The original "Champion" fruit symbol strips, had the word Champion in the Bar symbol.
I also ran across another Groetchen fruit set, but they are for a 20 symbol reel.
Also, thank you to Jeff, for taking his reel bundle out, to do the symbol layout, and token pay check.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby d12bn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Ok thanks for your help. Just let me know what you figure out and what I do next.
Thanks Jack

SLOT DYNASTY wrote:Now that I see the reels from Jeff's machine, and the 9 - 12 - 22 coded disks, those strips should have never
been ordered to place on this "Champion" model, if your disks are the same code pattern. This is going to take
awhile, to get something put together for your machine, as I have some other strips, but they are still not the
exact strips you need. The original "Champion" fruit symbol strips, had the word Champion in the Bar symbol.
I also ran across another Groetchen fruit set, but they are for a 20 symbol reel.
Also, thank you to Jeff, for taking his reel bundle out, to do the symbol layout, and token pay check.
d12bn

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:33 pm

[quote="d12bn"]Ok thanks for your help. Just let me know what you figure out and what I do next.
Thanks Jack

OK, will do. Now it's time to change your Avitar, to something that isn't depicting an incorrect mechanism. :D
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby JHSS-1944 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:37 am

To all that thought it was helpful , you welcome !!!
what's needed is better photos of your machine Jack = of the notches in each reel "disc". just to ensure it's the same as mine , Might not be.
do the best you can & see if the photos I put up match what you have. Any little variation , means a different symbol or win combination. who knows how many variations they may have made over the years on the Champion / Sparks machine.
Honestly, never knew mine was a 12 stop version, never had it apart or needed to & never thought about it.
the design of the "disc / notches on reel tin #2 in very ingenious , really limits many other chances of winning combinations.
will take a few more photos of my machine , for another related thread. some might find it interesting, specially if you don't own a Trade Stimulator similar to this.
Actually kinda interested in knowing the other variations , reel strips, 20 stop type , with & with out G.A. , ect., ect.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby JHSS-1944 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:51 am

here's photos of the reel strips, little beat up But.....
notice they're a tiny bit off from each other when mounted.
jeff H.
Attachments
champ strips 1.JPG
champ strips 2.JPG
champ strips 3.JPG
champ strips 4.JPG
JHSS-1944

PreviousNext

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions