Electromechanical Slot Question

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Electromechanical Slot Question

Postby mills13 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:12 am

I found an old Harrah’s electromechanical machine (see attached). The machine plays well and the only issue is the hopper will not pay. When a winning combination is hit, you can hear a click as if it is about to pay, but the hopper never turns. I did the usual look through to see if any wires were not connected but all looked fine to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
WP_20170119_11_55_21_Pro.jpg
mills13

Re: Electromechanical Slot Question

Postby JHSS-1944 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:18 am

Welcome to the forum mills13 !
I'm not an expert on these (I do own one).
Are you playing it with out coins in it ? rare but, a coin can get jammed up in the hopper.
Also there's a switch that counts the coins as the exit it, that switch might be "broken" / in the "wrong position" & not returning back to where it needs to be.
click might be a noise from somewhere else & the fuse for the hopper might be bad.

We'll see what the experts have to say.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby TheFatman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:53 am

Be sure that the stop switch is cleaned and open when the machine is reset. If you are facing the machine, as you pull the hopper out, a switch will be located on the left side. There you will find a circular disk that turns as the coins are payed out. Located in front of that disk is a small switch. That is your stop switch. This switch must be open when the hopper is reset, which should happen at each spin, and closed as the very first coin is dispensed and the circular disk is advanced.
You Bally model if my memory is correct, is a 873 from 1970. I have included a pic from my 873 machine and have some important items shown. The stop switch is very common to get out of adjustment because of handling of the hopper by people who dont know about it and move it with their fingers. Also common problems can be the Beau plugs that connect the hopper to the machine. Sometimes wires get broken off the pins and also the pins can get broken too. The hopper when placed back in the machine should not have to be JAMMED in but a firm push. That's how the pins can get broken.

Please feel free to contact us back here if that doesn't fix it.
Dave F
873 HOPPER.jpg
873 Hopper
TheFatman

Postby mills13 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:06 pm

First I want to thank you both for the help.

The stop switch was out of adjustment. I guess the previous owner did not handle the hopper correctly.

All is working fine, what a great forum!!!!

Thanks so much!
mills13

Postby TheFatman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:06 pm

I love a good success story.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby JHSS-1944 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:47 am

Another machine saved !!
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby TheFatman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:45 pm

Glad we could help ... I have to point to Old Reno too ... he didn't chime in ... but without his vast knowledge, I wouldn't know what I know... =D>
Dave F
TheFatman

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions