Mills slow reel spin

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills slow reel spin

Postby SLOTMANDAVE » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:09 pm

I have a Mills Spearmint 5 cent slot and the first reel hardly spins, I have taken the bundle out and cleaned and lubed it but no help? Any thoughts from any one?
Thanks
SLOTMANDAVE

Re: Mills slow reel spin

Postby mechanic » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Did you disassemble the reel bundle? If not you will need to do this and burnish the spindles individually inside and out. Before you disassemble mark the spindle with the hub so you have a referrence point when you reassemble the bundle. You will need to have about 50/1000ths clearance between hubs so they dont bind. An old spark plug feeler gauge should work perfectly.
mechanic

Postby SLOTMANDAVE » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:07 pm

Thanks, I will try that, but not sure what you mean between the hubs? between the reels? The second and third reels spin nice the first hardly makes a full revolution, When I spin them on the shaft out of the machine they all seem pretty free?

Thanks Again
SLOTMANDAVE

Postby mechanic » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:23 pm

The hubs are the parts that the stop star and reel tins are attached to. You will see a space between them where they are attached to the spindles.
mechanic

Postby briank » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:28 am

Did by chance a spoke become unsoldered causing the wheel to become slightly out of round? I have a Caille that did that and the wheel slightly rubbed on every revolution causing the wheel to come to a stop well before the other two.
briank

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions