Mills Mech. won't operate in case

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Mech. won't operate in case

Postby Chkita » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:01 pm

All,
I am working on a Mills TorchFront - Gooseneck, about a 1929 Model. It had a couple of payout issues that I've worked out and it plays and pays perfectly... outside of the case. When I put it in the case the handle jambs up about half way down. I can pull the Mech. right out and finish the cycle with no issues. I have looked and looked but can't see any obstructions, etc... Have any of you ran into this before? I'm sure it's a simple fix, but I am overlooking it.

Thanks, Vance
Chkita

Re: Mills Mech. won't operate in case

Postby marsonion » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:26 pm

Chkita wrote:All,
I am working on a Mills TorchFront - Gooseneck, about a 1929 Model. It had a couple of payout issues that I've worked out and it plays and pays perfectly... outside of the case. When I put it in the case the handle jambs up about half way down. I can pull the Mech. right out and finish the cycle with no issues. I have looked and looked but can't see any obstructions, etc... Have any of you ran into this before? I'm sure it's a simple fix, but I am overlooking it.

Thanks, Vance

Sounds like a situation I had with another old Mills cabinet I worked on: the inside handle hardware, which engages the mech, was "bent" in such a way that it skewed as it was pulled and would jam-up against the edge of the big roller pin (or whatever you call it) on the mech. I only became aware of this by pulling off the top casting and watching this happen in "real-time." Ever since I pried the inside handle cam flange (or whatever you call it) back into proper alignment with the "big roller pin," it's been working just fine.
marsonion

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions