Parts cleaning / cleaners

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Parts cleaning / cleaners

Postby edgeCity » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:33 am

I am interested in hearing what folks use to clean slot machine mechanical parts. I am refurbishing (what appears to be) a Mills Chrome Bell/Diamond Front. I'd like to know what solvents (and methods) are recommended. Once cleaned, do the parts need to be 'treated' to prevent future rust? I combed through the "Repair / Restoration Questions" forum but found few suggestions. Any advice, gleaned from your own experiences, would be most helpful and greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Nelson
IMG_7180.JPG
edgeCity

Re: Parts cleaning / cleaners

Postby sam2002 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Simple green works very good . I have a solvent tank with mineral spirits but the odor after cleaning takes forever to dissipate . I recently tried simple green and was quite impressed with the results and the odor .
sam2002

Postby oldslotman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:48 pm

Mineral spirits and air pressure
oldslotman

Postby pb4sc » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:29 pm

I have used Harbor Freights Heavy Duty Biodegradable degreaser. Works pretty well, and fairly cheap.

Phil
pb4sc

Postby radiorich123 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:59 pm

I use kerosene and a stiff brush outside then air dry. After that use light oil on the pivot joints.

Rich
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby mfaust1942 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:19 pm

... and I wanted to add to the cleaning issue a product known generally as denatured alcohol . We used to use it in the "points" part of the distributor on auto engines. I was told it would not only clean but would not leave any remaining cleaning agent or oily film behind. So we had really clean points.. all of it to get more speed. So I thought I'd mention it in this discussion. I have not used in on the mech side of the machines I own, only because I am new to this chapter of my life. But I plan to. Anything terrible here??? Thanks. Marty in Florida
mfaust1942

Postby Richard13 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:46 pm

When I'm in a hurry and want immediate results I fill my HVLP gun with mineral spirits or kerosene and spray it down and let it soak. Then wire brush or otherwise remove and loosen up all the grime and crud and rinse it again. Then put some lacquer thinner or acetone in the gun and rinse again. OF COURSE ITS NOT SAFE but I catch all my run off and dispose of properly and do it outside work lots of ventilation and no smoking allowed! About as safe as brake cleaner I suppose but a lot cheaper and no film or residue. Gotta take the reel bundle out sometimes but need to do that anyway.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby sam2002 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:29 am

Simple green
sam2002

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions