Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

Postby JHSS-1944 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:56 am

sounds like your doing it right so far. mine was bought with 100% of it's parts , Less the cash box door ! I had to make my own. AND the crap wood from home depot then Fully dried out later & it warped a bit.
original instructions on these type of machines , usually state to clean the contacts, place a piece of paper between them , little pressure applied, and pull the paper out. the paper "wipes" the contact area enough to allow it to do what it has to do. even super light sand paper Can screw the contacts up, scratching off the "silver soldier" that's on them.
my 64 bally is screwed up this way, doesn't work well on pay outs ,ect.
contact cleaner will help, fully follow the instructions, the residue is highly flammable for a long while afterwards. So don't play it for a bit after you use this stuff.... or "FIRE, FIRE,FIRE !!!"
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby OneArmBandito » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:13 pm

I'd like to think I've learned a few things about my machine today. Specifically, the lower shelf of guts. Worked on it all day...on and off. Tedious is the word that comes to mind. And difficult. The discs were very grubby. I used cotton swabs soaked in CRC 'lectronic cleaner held by surgical clamps. Thought I'd get tricky and take one of the discs off. No dice. Even after I got the nut off, the disc refused to budge.( I did set the ratchet back to start and marked the top of the disc ).
Ironically, the book says the lower shelf stuff is self cleaning and shouldn't need work.
On the points I used little strips of index card soaked with cleaner held with said clamps.
On a lighter note, I noticed two beautiful Keeneys offered here clear back in '09. They were in Carolina. Wonder if he ever sold them.
Best,
OneArmBandito

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:10 pm

diffidently sturdy machines & they sold a boat load of them ! seems to come up often for sale. locally saw another, paint removed, stained real dark & for big bucks. of course it never sold.
JHSS-1944

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...Can of worms.

Postby OneArmBandito » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:14 pm

So I was cleaning some more today. I noticed a cam mounted on one of the disc assembly's. It was frozdid.On its postdid.
I tried much gentle persuasion, but all I ended up with was the post turning in the frame instead of the cam turning on the post. I reckon I'm going to have to get it off with a burr from the backside. It's tight quarters. Gonna be a trick.
OneArmBandito

Postby SLOTMANDAVE » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi, I have been watching this post and was hoping someone might be able to help me on the same machine? This machine played great until I let it sit this winter, now when you coin it up on the right side and push the handle it won't spin ? But if you coin it up on the left side it does and if coined up on the right it will pay out? I don't have a schematic for it and don't know where to start looking? Can someone point out where I should start?

Thanks
SLOTMANDAVE

Postby OneArmBandito » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:49 pm

I can copy you a set and Mail em. PM me your addy. There's some stuff that's different than what the books show, at least on my machine.
Those coin chutes are easy to take off and fun to play with. They are kind of amazing. The whole darn thing is amazing. But low tech enough for anyone with a few tools and a multi meter to fiddle with. The right chute on mine is a little dicky compared to the left.
I noticed a second cam on that lower shelf. Had to take that one off the same way. Got em apart, cleaned up, drilled and tapped for hex button head screws and put back on. Replaced the rubber grommets under the reset relays.
Couple of errant pins on the big plugs and they don't like to be straightened. I was breaking a sweat before I started filling the coin tubes.
She's still not putting out on certain combos. Got a long way to go. Lots of lights to fix.
On a lighter note, the old man and I played it for a good 1/2 hr. This evening. I was surprised he took an interest. He never played the quarter slot. Mabey the handle on the mills is too hard to pull. Maybe it's the lights.

Best,
OneArmBandito

Postby JHSS-1944 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:23 am

copy of the original advertisement of 1946.
Attachments
scan ad.jpg
JHSS-1944

Postby OneArmBandito » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:02 pm

That's a cool ad. Thanks for posting that.
Plugged the old machine in this evening, started playing, and the backboard lights started workin. So maybe all that cleaning did some good. That and just playing it. Though I think it got played a good bit in the consignment store.
Hit two lemons and a bar on a double five coin bet and she payed forty in each drawer !
OneArmBandito

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:38 am

many of these types of machines really need to just be played. sitting around does create issues. the 3 consoles I bought were real dirty inside, sat in storage at least 10 years.
a good cleaning came first but, the more I played them ,the better they worked.
JHSS-1944

Postby OneArmBandito » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:19 pm

Started back on it today. Blundered into adjusting one of those contacts on one of those discs on the reel assembly. There's a square nut underneath that falls off if you loosen the screw too much. Lotta fun getting that back together. Then got on the "working " backboard lights. This was kind of fun, cause I was playing it while plugging and unplugging bulbs. Seems some sockets or contacts have issues rather than just bad bulbs. I bought some NOS 55's on eBay for around 1.50 ea.
She still doesn't pay off on certain combos. Particularly, three oranges.
OneArmBandito

PreviousNext

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions