Reel replacement on Mills Vest Pocket

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Reel replacement on Mills Vest Pocket

Postby mfaust1942 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Just received a working Mills Vest Pocket in the mail. The reel strips are very hard and almost unreadable due to over lubricating/oiling the mech. Wanting to replace them, but unlike the "big boy" mechs I don't see any way to peal back the side of the reels and then pinch them back into position.
What's the secret here to replacing reel strips. Glue? What kind? What to be careful of ?

Also, I wish we could discuss packing and shipping Slots correctly. This "vest" came so loosely packed, key left in the lock,the key banged up against it's cardboard box,key got bent, lock also got bent, moved a bit enough, so , the back came off and the mech slipped out a bit. Gently rebent the key, had to rebend the lock mechanism, no damage to the mech...all is calm. Pays/plays well! OLA!

Thanks, Marty in Florida
mfaust1942

Re: Reel replacement on Mills Vest Pocket

Postby radiorich123 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:23 am

Remove the reel bundle scrape off the old strips and clean metal reel with mineral sprits and glue new strips with contact cement.
Packing for shipping any slot has to be well packed and a tight fit for the box. I never had a problem send machines that way.

Rich
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions