payout problems

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: payout problems

Postby edgeCity » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:54 pm

'. . . and First Place in Troubleshooting goes to Beads!'
Bill, as I said, the hook was on the roller so tight that I had to remove the entire
anti-check payout assembly to free it. Then I reinstalled it and, at your suggestion,
secured the hooked lever in a permanent out-of-the-way position with a wire:

IMG_7238.JPG

Mech functions correctly now!. Forced all payout combinations and they are dropping
coins properly. Fait accompli! NEXT step is to fix the escalator!
Thanks so much for your help. "The experts will fill you in with the rest..." -- that would be YOU, sir!
Nelson
edgeCity

Postby Beads » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:20 pm

Glad it worked out.....but all my knowledge is from all the great members on this site. You won't need that wire if that lever is turned all the way to the back. What issue(s) do you have with your escalator. Pictures help a lot. I highly recommend picking up a book. I picked up two but one is more detailed than the other and highly recommended. When I get home I will send you the title.
Beads

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:09 pm

Little issues like this I love !!!!! "selling slot machine , it's currently broken , ect.,ect. "

Edgecity , How do you think I got the Sega for $400.00 ? ! ? "I had it for over a year ,didn't work then ,never could get it working..... now up for sale." ( thank you sir) took me mere minutes to fix (at home).
nice to hear it's was a minor issue & it's up & running.
My first encounter with that same issue took me a bit to figure out. walked away from it, came back & just happened to stare right at the problem when I sat down.... BINGO !
I had all the implements of destruction sitting right on the table ,ready to tear down the whole machine, oh , wait , it's this ???
jeff
JHSS-1944

Postby edgeCity » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 pm

The escalator had a mutilated coin in it so it was completely jammed. I removed the front plate to free the coins, a couple of the screws got mangled in the process. I also need a set of hold down springs and washers to reassemble it, hopefully Dave Berten has them. An easy fix.
I have two books -- Geddes' Owner's Pictorial Guide for the Care and Understanding of Mills Bell Slots and Fey's Mill's Slot Machine The Complete Service Manual. I find both indispensable. Neither, however, have an index so it's not easy to find stuff. So I query the forum members and they always point me in the right direction!
edgeCity

Postby edgeCity » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:02 am

. . . "Little issues like this I love !!!!!"

Well, for now, Jeff, they are learning opportunities. And the more you learn, the easier it becomes to
troubleshoot (and solve) little and big issues. Thirty years as a software engineer taught me that!

In this case, I knew that it wasn't paying out because the payout fingers weren't penetrating the reel
disks. So then I had to determine what was preventing that. Once discovered, it's "Why is the 'anti-check payout hook'
holding back the 'payout pushback arm'?", and so forth . . .

Then one wonders -- why is there an anti-check assembly on a machine that doesn't use tokens? Well, perhaps this isn't the
original mech in this machine. What else has been altered? I wish there were a book on revamping! A pre-war bell that was 'upgraded'
to meet the post-war demand, then driven into hiding (and disuse) by the Johnson Act, or worse, butchered to do the carnival circuit ("Three bars wins
any prize in the showcase"), or recoined and shipped across the pond to collect dust and sixpence in an English pub for a few decades, whatever.
Hard to define what constitutes an "original" machine in this hobby.

For me, it doesn't matter. I try to keep my machines in the condition I found them. It's one thing if they need repairs or a good 'sprucing up'.
Each has it's own unspoken story, it's own unique 'personality'. I'm more into preservation than restoration.
edgeCity

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:28 pm

The question you ponder is a good one. on the "unneeded parts", they still made them & put them onto the machines, long after one would think "why bother"? On my 4 Crown (1956 ish) & the Sega diamond 4 star, those parts still there.
on the British used machines, these parts seem to have been removed by them before use.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Previous

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions