QT Mechanism Pics PLEASE

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

QT Mechanism Pics PLEASE

Postby marsonion » Tue May 02, 2017 12:42 pm

Trying to put together a Mills QT Firebird for a friend. Apparently it was completely dismantled many years ago and the parts were gathered into plastic bags, some labeled, some not. Never worked on one of these before so I'm way out of my depth putting this puzzle together... Will some kind soul with a QT in his collection remove the mech and post pictures of top, front, back and L-R sides to show as many parts in proper position as possible? I really need some clues! #-o Thanks in advance. [-o<
Attachments
DSCF0001.JPG
marsonion

Re: QT Mechanism Pics PLEASE

Postby Mills » Tue May 02, 2017 12:50 pm

37 slots machines.... May be more ?
Mills

Postby marsonion » Tue May 02, 2017 12:56 pm

WOW.

MERCI BEAUCOUP, Mills!

(...but what took you so long? :lol: )
marsonion

Postby rtmccurdy » Tue May 02, 2017 12:59 pm

A copy of "The Complete Guide to the Mills QT" by Saul and Geddes will help if you can locate a copy.
rtmccurdy

Postby marsonion » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:08 pm

I didn't want to let too many more weeks go by before thanking Mills once again for posting his very helpful QT Chevron mech assembly images online. They were absolutely indispensable to me in putting this machine back together for a friend in Indiana.

What's really giving me a headache are the jackpots, which feed and fill OK, but will variously drop unannounced and for no apparent reason, while almost never opening when they're supposed to. Also, several pulls are often necessary to get the alternating trap doors to close all the way. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring how the contraption can malfunction as if it's both too loose and too bound-up at the same time... no idea how to adjust any of the moving parts I'm seeing to deal with JP doors that fall open by themselves, but otherwise won't budge when prompted? Any guidance from more experienced forum members would be greatly appreciated.

At any rate, I'd sure like to get all of these fixes in before tackling the big gaping crack in the oak of the top handle-side of the cabinet, provided by our good friends at FedEx GRIND. :roll:

[Added Note 6/25: After a little tinkering, everything's working great now, except the left hand JP door still pops open by itself occasionally. Anyone else ever have this problem?]
Attachments
DSCF0001.JPG
marsonion

Postby Walter Newton » Sun May 23, 2021 1:37 pm

marsonion wrote:

[Added Note 6/25: After a little tinkering, everything's working great now, except the left hand JP door still pops open by itself occasionally. Anyone else ever have this problem?]

I wanted to revisit this problem.

My right jackpot door either dumps unexpectedly, or just stays open for extended periods of time.

I haven't taken a deep dive on this yet, since I just got the machine a few days ago, but I was hoping to get ahead of the problem before I start poking around on the mech.

(Picture is just to "show off" the machine. I can post mech pics if needed)
Attachments
mills_qt.JPG
Walter Newton

Postby rtmccurdy » Sun May 23, 2021 5:29 pm

The Geddes and Saul "Qwner's Complete Guide to the Mills QT Slot Machine" will help you immensely and there are still copies around to purchase.
Attachments
MVC-004S.JPG
rtmccurdy

Postby rtmccurdy » Sun May 23, 2021 5:44 pm

The jackpot opening sequence is dependent on a few things. First make sure the racket mechanism behind the jackpot has both springs as they occasionally pop off and the long spring as pictured. Second, make sure the ratchet mechanism functions as it should, rotating and engaging as it should (will necessitate removing the jackpot assembly) as this area is prone to be greased to the point that it eventually sticks. On occasion the jackpot base is bent also impeding the movement of the door that isn't releasing the coins. After cleaning you can easily manipulate the rectangular ring on top that is raised to release the jackpots making sure you close them after opening. After reinstalling make sure the jackpot activation lever is inside the rectangular ring. As always the Geddes and Saul Guide for the QT is a must if you are working on these.
Attachments
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG
rtmccurdy

Postby Walter Newton » Sun May 23, 2021 7:40 pm

Thanks,

Yes, I ordered the book earlier today.
Walter Newton

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions