HELP! Mills Black Beauty Kicker / Back Shaft Spring Issue

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

HELP! Mills Black Beauty Kicker / Back Shaft Spring Issue

Postby aldiener » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and thought I had figured out the problem I was having with my mechanism. The reels were not spinning and stopping as designed. I figured out when I cycle the mechanism, and have the fan / governor blocked, if I immediately push up on the operating fork and simultaneously unblock the fan / governor, the reels spin and stop normally.

Also some photos I have come across show a big spring between the operating fork and the area where the wing nuts are between the far right and middle reel (viewed from the back). I do not have any such spring on my machine, although it looks like there is a place for one.

I am attaching photos of the back of my machine (slot1,slot2, slot3) as well as photos of machines with these springs in place.

However, I have now received information stating, "Your slot doesn't need that spring because it has a late model kicker and spring which
replaces the back back spring."

I am very confused and I am not sure how to proceed with getting my mechanism to cycle properly. Any support and/or suggestions you may have will be deeply appreciated. If you are willing to speak with me by phone, please PM me and I will provide my phone number.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Warmly,
Amy

Picture with spring 2.jpg

Picture with spring 3.jpg

Picture with spring 1.jpg

Slot 2.jpg

Slot 1.jpg

Slot 3.jpg
aldiener

Re: HELP! Mills Black Beauty Kicker / Back Shaft Spring Issu

Postby oldslotman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:44 pm

I have seen a few high top machines that do use that spring but not many. The kicker spring on most high tops is located by the springs for the payout slides. It is connected to the same spot as the top spring for the payout slides. It depends on the type of kicker you have in the mech. I do have that spring setup but it will only work if you have the older style kicker. You can see the kicker spring on the newer style kicker. Hope this helps.
IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2471.JPG
oldslotman

Postby aldiener » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:39 am

Hi OldSlotsman,
Thank you for responding to my post. Having the photos you shared is very helpful.

I definitely have the newer style kicker and I can see the longer kicker spring is located by the springs on the payout slides in my mechanism. I am not sure what is preventing my machine reels from cycling properly. If you have any further suggestions on what I might try, I would be grateful.

Warmly,
Amy
aldiener

Postby oldslotman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:21 am

Your main operating bar, the one that rotates maybe in a bind or needs grease. There are two screws on each end that hold the operating bar in place. Try and loosen them about quarter turn and see if it works. They hold the bearing caps in place. Also those two bearing caps only go on one way. There is usually a dab of paint on the top side.
oldslotman

Postby aldiener » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:30 am

Good day OldSlotsman,
Again thank you for your response.

I am guessing the main operating bar is the same thing that I am calling the operating fork? I am only asking because I am not familiar with all the terminology and want to make sure I am understanding the information you are sharing.

If this is accurate, I am familiar with the screws you are referencing and wonder, do you have any thoughts about how to loosen these screws? They are really, really tight :-)
I am attaching a new photo, with the screws circled that I think you are referencing. In addition I put a square around a part which another slot machine enthusiast has suggested making flush with the main operating bar / operating fork to make the reels work properly. Do you have any thoughts about this suggestion?

Also for clarity, the main bar / operating fork does turn when I insert a coin and pull on the handle, the issue arises when the main bar / operating fork does not return to its original position with any ooomph / spring / power. I hope this makes sense.

Regarding the bearing caps, I am not sure what you are wanting me to understand from what you have shared. Can you say more?

Thank you again for your time and patience with a new but very enthusiastic slot machine tinkerer. (I grew up with slots but never endeavored to maintain them.)

Warmly,
Amy
Slot 2 touchup.jpg
aldiener

Postby oldslotman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:00 am

Yes, those are the four screws that hold the bearing cap. Sound like they are OK.
oldslotman

Postby oldslotman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:06 am

Any way you can post a video? Also what is your location?
oldslotman

Postby oldslotman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:16 am

That other part you have circled could be a problem if the mech is not cycling far enough to engage the kicker. If you move that pin to far the machine will bind up and jam. If you do move that pin do it very little at a time like 1/16 inch.
oldslotman

Postby oldslotman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:18 am

You may also have a bad kicker.
oldslotman

Postby aldiener » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi OldSlotsman,
I added a back shaft spring today and my mechanism is working like a charm :-)

Do you have one of these springs, like the one you posted in response to me, available for sale?

I would like to have an extra on hand and would especially like the wing nut assembly that goes with it :-)

In any case, I am grateful for your support and many responses to my queries.

With much appreciation,
Amy
aldiener

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions