Pace comet slot mechanism

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Pace comet slot mechanism

Postby davidpratt1 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:57 am

IMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0699.JPG
Hi can anyone tell me what kind of metal or alloy the pace comet slot mechanism is made from and can it be welded or soldered as I have 2 machines with both cracked and damaged being held together with plates and screws any information would be appreciated,just the part where the escalator is fixed to!
Attachments
IMG_0701.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG
Last edited by davidpratt1 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
davidpratt1

Re: Pace comet slot mechanism

Postby gsx11r » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:53 am

Hi
Please , post a photp of your problem.
Some different metal on different parts in the Pace.
Stephane
gsx11r

Postby mechanic » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:06 pm

PUT A MAGNET TO IT. IF IT STICKS ITS EITHER CAST STEEL OR CAST IRON. MAGNET DOES NOT STICK ITS CAST ALUMINUM, BASS OR BRONZE. ALL CAN BE WELDED OR HELIARCED. TOOLING IT DOWN TO WORK PROPERLY IS THE CHALLENGE.
mechanic

Postby Richard13 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:20 pm

Where are you located if close by and it's ferris bring it by and we can probably braze it back together.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby davidpratt1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:20 pm

Richard13 wrote:Where are you located if close by and it's ferris bring it by and we can probably braze it back together.

Hi I'm based in Cannock WS11 where are you?
davidpratt1

Postby davidpratt1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:29 pm

mechanic wrote:PUT A MAGNET TO IT. IF IT STICKS ITS EITHER CAST STEEL OR CAST IRON. MAGNET DOES NOT STICK ITS CAST ALUMINUM, BASS OR BRONZE. ALL CAN BE WELDED OR HELIARCED. TOOLING IT DOWN TO WORK PROPERLY IS THE CHALLENGE.

Hi yes it's some sort of cast iron! it could possibly be welded I will take a closer look as this seems like the only possibility I thought putting on a forum like this I of been overwhelmed with them lol,im new to this so I have a bit of learning to do,thanks anyway
davidpratt1

Postby Richard13 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:52 am

Ha I'm in Tempe Arizona. Take it to a welder that can braze. If it's cast iron it can me niclel rod welded MAYBE if not too light weight but cast iron or steel can be brazed, ground down, drilled and tapped if necessary. Good luck.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby mechanic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:43 pm

I'm hearing a lot about brazing !!! ARGH!!!!!!! Never use dissimilar metals to repair a part. I have seen too many steel and cast iron pieces with that gross yellow glob on them. Any good professional welder will have the proper rods with the similar hardnesses to do the job right. STAY AWAY FROM YELLOW BRAZING UNLESS YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT LESSENING THE VALUE OF YOUR MACHINE.
mechanic

Postby Richard13 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Yikes I did not want to perturb anyone with the offer of a free repair of brazing. If done right the way I do it is only the crack and small chamfering is visible after grinding and polishing. Then if desired a few coats of cast iron high temp paint baked on it and it looks pretty damn good. If the machine is busted it's busted loss of value period welded brazed or superglued. If someone want a fun machine to play and use and it works let them decide. If you have a high dollar Check Boy or other fancy schmancy machine pay the high bucks and buy or cast another part. Like I said a nickel rod electrode will work but that tiny part he needs fixed...good luck with that. Welding cast parts is hard and a lot of weld a little cool a lot. Do you have much experience metalworking for free for other hobbiests like this or automobile parts? At least I offered some advice and to do it for him free. Anyone else need something brazed send me a pm I've done several repairs for other members.

Richard
Richard13

Postby mechanic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:27 pm

Richard13 wrote:Yikes I did not want to perturb anyone with the offer of a free repair of brazing. If done right the way I do it is only the crack and small chamfering is visible after grinding and polishing. Then if desired a few coats of cast iron high temp paint baked on it and it looks pretty damn good. If the machine is busted it's busted loss of value period welded brazed or superglued. If someone want a fun machine to play and use and it works let them decide. If you have a high dollar Check Boy or other fancy schmancy machine pay the high bucks and buy or cast another part. Like I said a nickel rod electrode will work but that tiny part he needs fixed...good luck with that. Welding cast parts is hard and a lot of weld a little cool a lot. Do you have much experience metalworking for free for other hobbiests like this or automobile parts? At least I offered some advice and to do it for him free. Anyone else need something brazed send me a pm I've done several repairs for other members.

Richard

You have to use what you have available, I just don't like the color variation on an original part. I know there is more than one way to fix things. I should have said in the case of brazing to have the part anodized to have the part look as close to original as possible. I do need someone who can bend cast iron back into shape without it cracking.
mechanic

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions