Columbia carousel won't advance

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Columbia carousel won't advance

Postby cbvig » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:33 am

I just acquired a nice-looking Columbia (pale blue with red) that will cycle properly for the most part, but the carousel won't advance unless by hand. Everything else seems to be working properly. Help!
cbvig

Re: Columbia carousel won't advance

Postby Denny » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:27 am

Hi
Wish I could help but I haven't had too many problems with mine. There are a few people on the forum who could help but are probably too busy because of the holidays. Have you tried a search on the just chatting part of the forum.
Denny

Postby marsonion » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:31 am

cbvig wrote:I just acquired a nice-looking Columbia (pale blue with red) that will cycle properly for the most part, but the carousel won't advance unless by hand. Everything else seems to be working properly. Help!

I'd suggest that you study this article from the January 1982 issue of The Coin Slot magazine:

http://coinslot.arcade-museum.com/CoinS ... 1--083/56/

There is an adjustment for the coin advance discussed in the article: it involves loosening the two screws holding the little plate located at the upper left rear of the mechanism (viewed from behind), and raising or lowering it to set the distance that the carousel will advance on each cycle. In my experience, this is a very powerful and sensitive adjustment, which can variously cause or remediate annoying coin jams under the escalator. If set too far out of position, it can cause the carousel to not advance at all! (There is a slight chance that this is your problem.) Frankly, I don't recall whether the coin advance action is killed by setting the plate too high or too low, and I'm sure not going to try it on any of my Columbias because I have each of them set just right, and that particular adjustment is precious.
marsonion

Postby randyjaco » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:19 pm

If you are located in the Houston TX area, I can probably help you.

People please, if you need help, let us know where you live. The person who can help you, might live a few blocks away.

Randy
"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)
randyjaco

Postby cbvig » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:38 am

Thanks for all the help. The slots gods must have been looking down. The machine started functioning perfectly.
Chris
Springfield, OR
cbvig

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions