Mills Jewel Bell Hi Top Repair question

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Jewel Bell Hi Top Repair question

Postby Nick » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:57 am

Does anyone have any suggestions on this problem I am having with my Mills Jewel Bell.

Everything works fine except on the unwind cycle, it will not completely unwind to allow the lever on the back of the slides to retract. I have to give the clock arm a littlle push to complete the unwinding process and get the "5th" click for the payout.

The spring seems to be plenty tight.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks.

Nick
Nick

Re: Mills Jewel Bell Hi Top Repair question

Postby oldslotman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:13 pm

Try a different spring. Make sure it is a spring for the clock. That would be the best place to start.
oldslotman

Postby Nick » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:35 pm

Thanks oldslotman. Actually the spring was on the slot when I got it about 10 years ago and it worked fine up until about a month ago. The spring is pretty tight. I am pretty sure it is the correct spring. Guess I will just have to poke around and maybe will have a "voila" moment.

Thanks.

Nick
Nick

Postby mechanic » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Check your vert finger reset. It has a tab on the left as you look at the right frame with 2 screws that adjust so as to let the main lever to drop and finish cycling. This can either be adjusted or greased to allow the main operating lever slide by.
mechanic

Postby Nick » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Mechanic,

I am having trouble identifying the vertical finger reset that you mention. Could you help me a litle more with locating this?
I have the Owner's Picture Guide for the Mills Bell Slot Machine by Geddes and Mead. Is this part shown in any of the pictures in this book? I have looked, but don't find anything with that name.

Thanks so much for your help.

Nick
Nick

Postby mechanic » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:08 pm

Nick The technical name for the horizontal payout fingers is Jackpot Payout Slide Lever. It is the stack that sits at the bottom left as you look at the rear of the mechanism. The name for the top vertical fingers are Upper Payout Lever. You need the 10 pay which is the second in from the end as shown in your pic. That is the one you will need to bend back away from the lower fingers.
mechanic

Postby Nick » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:43 pm

Mechanic,

I apologize for bothering you again, but I wonder if you have me mixed up with someone else. I did not send you a photo.
I have been asking about the Mills Higtop not completeting it's cycle but stopping before it completeley unwinds, requiring me to push the clock link a little for it to complete the unwind cycle.

In your original post, you had mentioned the vertical finger reset in one of your posts.
In your last post you mention the horizontal payout fingers (Jackpot Payout Slide lever).

I am having trouble integrating your comments regarding the vertical finger reset, the jackpot payout slide lever and needing to bend something away from the lower fingers.

Please tell me if I am wrong, and I am just confused.

I very much appreciate your help.
Nick

Postby mechanic » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Sorry Nick my bad !!! I got to stop reading only parts of the postings. I seen fingers and away I go. I'll attach a pic of the part tomorrow. Sorry for confusing you. Later Jim
mechanic

Postby Nick » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:02 am

Thanks Mechanic. I really appreciate your taking the time to try and help me.

Nick
Nick

Postby mechanic » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:24 pm

DSC00001.JPG
Nick here are front and back pics of the part I mentioned. You will need to loosen both screws and push the tab toward the center of the mech then tighten them back up this should allow the machine to finish its cycle.
Attachments
DSC00002.JPG
mechanic

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions