Jennings Sweepstakes Chief 5c Won't Cycle Completely

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Jennings Sweepstakes Chief 5c Won't Cycle Completely

Postby rockso » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:09 am

I recently started working on an antique mechanical Jennings Sweepstakes Chief 5c slot machine. I watched Dave's videos on youtube for how to unjam the machine (super helpful!). However, the machine continues to jam about half-way through a lever pull and I always have to unjam the machine. I cleared the escalator and checked to see if there's nickels anywhere and the problem continues to occur. I've noticed two things:

1. It looks like a spring is missing. But I'm not sure how important it was. The bracket that should hold tension on two springs has the left tooth broken off:

Missing-Spring.jpg

2. The escalator is very difficult to manually advance and I'm wondering if the problem is the escalator isn't advancing with the pull of the lever.

Escalator-back.jpg

Here's a picture of the lever half-pulled and jammed:

Half-cycle.jpg

I would really appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction!
rockso

Re: Jennings Sweepstakes Chief 5c Won't Cycle Completely

Postby marsonion » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:57 am

With regard to the spring issue, definitely YES, you need to replace it. I had exactly the same problem when I got my Club Chief. It took a little while to get hold of a proper replacement for the broken part (sorry, I can't find the catalog part#), so in the meantime I got it running by grinding a functional replica spring retainer out of a big washer... not exactly proud of this, but at least it worked. :oops:
Attachments
broken1.jpg
marsonion

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions