Mills 4 Column FOK Mint Vender - accessories

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills 4 Column FOK Mint Vender - accessories

Postby SnootyDrinkingRoom » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:17 pm

As can be seen in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7339 I am now the proud owner of my first vintage reel machine, an early 25 cent Mills 4 Column FOK Mint Vender. Naturally, I have a few questions.

I'd like to get some mints to load it with (or at least a good replacement - maybe appropriately wrapped dowels?). Are these available for purchase someplace, or will I need to get reproduction labels off ebay and fabricate something myself?

What about checks (tokens)? Are the tokens used in a 25 cent machine different from those used in a more common 5 cent machine? Where can I get some and how would I load them into the machine?

Also, my machine is missing the future pay indicator. Is that something that I can retrofit? What's the level of difficulty? I have some mechanical aptitude, but I've never worked on a reel machine before.

In general, is there anything I should know about the care, use and maintenance of this machine?

Thanks!
SnootyDrinkingRoom

Re: Mills 4 Column FOK Mint Vender - accessories

Postby gsx11r » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:50 am

Hi
About the Future pay Indicator, first , you need to be sure that your Mech are able to receive the system.
Post a photo of the front mech.
After , you need to find all this part!(Good luck !! )
-The complet The pay Indicator And the The reset bar.
Future pay indicator.jpg

- the slide for keep the coins for the next play.
DSC02065 low.jpg

DSC02064 low.jpg

About the mints, you need arround 60 of them for complet the distributor.
-Me , I use wood or plastic tube ,with a diameter no more than 0.8inch or 2cm !
-After , you buy the paper on EBay , or directly to MRSlot1 ! (for info ; Mrslot1= thunderfivfive on EBay)
http://www.mrslot1.com/
-Mrslot1 have also the "RERPO-MINT-WRAPPERS-ROLLED-ANTIQUE-SLOT-MACHINE"

Mint for Mills are this one (some different colors !)!
RERPO-MINT-WRAPPERS-ROLLED-ANTIQUE-SLOT-MACHINE.jpg

About anything I should know about the care, use and maintenance of this machine.
-if the slot machine don t work , try to find why or ask before to pull the handle like HULK (RIP stan Lee! :crybaby: )
-If it s for Home Use Only(HUO), don t touch anything !!!

About the token .They need to have the same size than a 25ç . Not the same than the 5ç token !!

Have fun
Stephane
(And please , remember , I m french , So , I m sorry fro my poor English !! )
gsx11r

Postby gsx11r » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:14 am

Hi again
Why do you want to use Token ??
There are no interest to use them , except if your mech is complet with the "special arm" who separate the coin from the token.
And this work only if your tokens have a hole on the middle.
In USA , I think that is more easy to find quarter than tokens ! :D
How to load tokens , exactly the same than the coin!! Load them in the coin tube when the Mech is out , or via the coin entry(gooseneck).
Stephane
gsx11r

Postby SnootyDrinkingRoom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:59 pm

Stephane,

Thanks for your reply. There's no need to be concerned at all about your English, I understand you perfectly. :)

Sorry it took me a couple of days.. been working a lot lately. I finally took the mechanism out and took some pictures. You can view them here: https://imgur.com/a/4F3XXdH

Here's the front mech:

As for my interest in the tokens and future pay... I just think the history of this machine is pretty neat... how the Mills company and machine operators skirted the laws of the day by claiming it was just a fancy mint vending machine with an interesting feature. I'd love to be able to demonstrate the way that it would function when new and unmodified... dispensing only tokens that could only be used for free plays, showing the amount the player would "win" in the window before a coin is inserted (not gambling!) and vending a pack of mints for each coin inserted. I want to know if/how that can be accomplished with the machine I have, so that I can weigh if the cost/effort is worth it to me. If it's not possible, or too difficult or too expensive, then I'm still quite happy with my new toy. :)
SnootyDrinkingRoom

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions