Best way to fix Vertical finger rubbing on reel disk.

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Best way to fix Vertical finger rubbing on reel disk.

Postby pb4sc » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi Everyone,
Can anyone give me advice how to attack this problem. It seems like a couple of my vertical fingers are not getting pushed far enough out of the way, so they are rubbing on the reel disk when I cycle the machine. This is leading to the first reel not spinning. I was thinking of trying to bend the vertical fingers back, but also thought it could be related to the reel disk bundle not being positioned correctly. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Phil
pb4sc

Re: Best way to fix Vertical finger rubbing on reel disk.

Postby mechanic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:43 pm

A few possible things. The fingers are longer than others. The push back bar is bent or worn. The 4th click in back is worn or not properly adjusted. These are the main problems but there can be others.
mechanic

Postby pb4sc » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:15 am

Thanks Mechanic. I will start with your suggestions. I appreciate the help.

Phil
pb4sc

Postby rosekiller454356 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:30 am

Check to see if there is any adjustment that can be made to move the reel bundle away from the upper payout fingers by loosening the top screws that hold down the reel bundle shaft. If there is, move the bundle away as far as possible and lock back down.
rosekiller454356

Postby pb4sc » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi Everyone,
Digging in a little deeper, it looks like it is not a vertical finger issue, but the first brake is the problem. When I cycle the machine, the brakes are being pushed out to the way, but the first one immediately falls back and stops the reel from ever spinning. So the bar on the clock is not slowly retracting in order to let the first reel spin. The other brakes are fine, it is just the first one that seems to stop the reel from spinning. Is there a way to adjust the distance the bar travels, so it goes further out and keeps the brake out of the way so the reel spins? Or should I bend the fans on the clock to make it take a longer time to retract? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Phil
DSC06488.JPG
pb4sc

Postby mechanic » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:54 pm

From the pic it looks like a gooseneck Mills. Is the reel stop timing lever under the reel stop levers stepped or is it a straight bar? If a straight bar then the problem may be the reel stop levers are not right. The stop levers should be different lengths at the feet. The one in the pic should have the longest foot, then #2 should be shorter and #3 shorter yet. Many times these are messed up and need to be reinstalled in proper sequence. If you have the stepped reel stop timing lever then the problem may be a shortened timing link between the lever and clock. Last they made the stepped lever in two styles with the link mounting pins in different spots. You may have the wrong style lever.
mechanic

Postby pb4sc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:06 am

Hi Mechanic,
First off, thanks for you expertise. I appreciate your help. This is a Jennings Rock Ola. Here is a picture from the left hand side, (if you are facing the mech) It looks like starting from the left it is short, then medium, then large. I believe the reel stop timing lever is stepped. Is this the correct order?
IMG_20190115_190513.jpg

Can you explain the "shortened timing link between the lever and clock" I am not sure exactly what you are talking about.

Thanks again,
Phil
pb4sc

Postby marsonion » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:39 pm

pb4sc wrote:Hi Everyone,
Digging in a little deeper, it looks like it is not a vertical finger issue, but the first brake is the problem. When I cycle the machine, the brakes are being pushed out to the way, but the first one immediately falls back and stops the reel from ever spinning. So the bar on the clock is not slowly retracting in order to let the first reel spin. The other brakes are fine, it is just the first one that seems to stop the reel from spinning. Is there a way to adjust the distance the bar travels, so it goes further out and keeps the brake out of the way so the reel spins? Or should I bend the fans on the clock to make it take a longer time to retract? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Phil

If your problem with the first reel stop slamming down too early continues despite the suggested adjustments, you might want to have a look at how well your clock's fan blades are affixed to the spindle: I've seen more than one case where the timing at the start of the cycle goes off simply because the solder securing the fan has loosened just enough to let the shaft spin independently if the torque is great enough. Thus, at the start of the cycle-- when the torque is strongest-- the shaft just squeaks around a few revolutions before the fan can start spinning. In other words, the start-of-cycle torque exceeds the friction holding the fan to the shaft, but later in the cycle, under a reduced load, the fan picks up and does its job... unfortunately, by then, the early cycle functions have already spun past instantaneously and invisibly.
marsonion

Postby mechanic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:29 pm

You have the straight timing lever on your mech. So the 1st stops too soon because the 1 and 3 stops are reversed You need the extra length on the 1st stop lever and as it finishes the cycle the last stop lever should be the shortest as it has a longer travel time before it needs to drop. Pull one and three and see how it goes. If it still has issues it may be another area of the mech needs adjusting or change. The stepped timing lever is for later models where the reel stop levers all have the same size feet.
mechanic

Postby Onemoretime » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:11 am

pb4sc wrote:Hi Mechanic,
First off, thanks for you expertise. I appreciate your help. This is a Jennings Rock Ola. Here is a picture from the left hand side, (if you are facing the mech) It looks like starting from the left it is short, then medium, then large. I believe the reel stop timing lever is stepped. Is this the correct order?
[attachment=0]IMG_20190115_190513.jpg[/attachment

Can you explain the "shortened timing link between the lever and clock" I am not sure exactly what you are talking about.

Thanks again,
Phil

Would you be able to give me measurements on that " hook " piece on the left of your picture? My machine is missing it and I cannot find one so I may have to make one.

Doug
Onemoretime

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions