Jennings Sun Chief - not paying out

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Jennings Sun Chief - not paying out

Postby MLStrauss » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:49 pm

I recently acquired my late granddather’s Jennings Sun Chief $.25 slot machine that was a big part of my childhood. The machine worked fine when I got it, but I subsequently had it shipped and have been having problems ever since; while the mechanisms all seem to work fine, the machine never pays out. I have largely filled up the jackpot area and have coins flowing to the “house,” but never get a payout of any amount.

Would love any ideas on how to fix this — I really want to share it with my daughter!

Thanks!
MLStrauss

Re: Jennings Sun Chief - not paying out

Postby DaisyLaners » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:07 pm

I'm a player, not an able machine mechanic, so I'm sorry that I can't help you. Are you talking about the jackpot not paying off or are there no payoffs at all? I've had my machine about 15 years and play it intermittently and it has hit the jackpot maybe three times. The odds are pretty long.
DaisyLaners

Postby MLStrauss » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:19 pm

Unfortunately, it’s not paying out at all - cherries, blueberries, oranges...it doesn’t matter. I get nothing.

Thanks!
MLStrauss

Postby mechanic » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Your 5th click may be out of adjustment. This part sets behind the slide stack which is below the coin tube on the front of the mechanism. You will need to see if the 5th click locks behind the slide stack just before the reels kick. With a flash light and a helper pulling the handle you should be able to see if the 5th click engages properly. The 5th click should move to the left to engage and then it moves to the right to release the slide stack. Keep watching the action and also count the cycle. 1-3 clicks are the three reels stopping. 4th click is the upper fingers engaging the pay out plates. Then the 5th click releases the pay slides even if there is no winner. If there is a winner you will know as the coins will drop all over.
mechanic

Postby rosekiller454356 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:47 pm

If you did not drain the coins from the coin tube and jackpot prior to shipping, you most likely have a coin turned sideways in the slides or a loose coin obstructing the slide operation. A slot machine should never be laid on its side with coins present unless you know what you are doing....and most shippers don't.
rosekiller454356

Postby MLStrauss » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, @mechanic! Something was definitely off on the clicks and plates. The good news is that it will payout - but not the right amount and not necessarily when it’s supppsed to. I’ve attached a couple of pictures — the only thing we can figure out is that it pays out somewhat randomly when the little lever shown is to the right, and not at all when it’s to the left.

Would love any further assistance — again, many thank!
Attachments
B6968DD0-6EE6-4640-93A2-A408884A2661.jpeg
MLStrauss

Postby mechanic » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:56 pm

That part is the check (coin) tube unloading arm. When engaged it keeps the horiz. fingers from resetting. This allows the coins to drop on every pull of the handle unloading the tube. The other position allows the tube to fill and releases the fingers so they pay out as they are supposed to. That may also be the problem your having. Flip in each position and watch the operation of the horiz fingers.
mechanic

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions