Antique Mills slot - clock part question ?

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Antique Mills slot - clock part question ?

Postby Canufixit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Hi, I have a 1962 mills compact slot machine. I have an adjustment feature? I do not know what it is for - or when to adjust. Attached are two mills slot machine clocks. on top of each is a lever . On my clock I've drown a white arrow to an adjustment cam (looks like a nut with a non concentric mounting hole). You can rotate the cam to adjust difference in the thickness /distance of the cam outside surfaces and the where it will hit the timing fork bar finger. White arrow.

The other picture shows a clock typical of all the clocks I can find in repair manuals and online. This clock has the similar lever on the top of the clock but instead of an adjustable cam the lever is just bent at 90 degrees to hit the timing bar finger. (yellow arrow).

Obviously these seem to do the same function - but mine has the spacing adjustable cam and the other ones I see is just an 90 bend in the arm.

- Why the difference -what does it adjust for ???
- How do you adjust the spacing so it is correct ????

Thanks All

Canufixit

my clock.jpg
My clock

mills clockI.jpg
Standard clocks
mills clockI.jpg (822.37 KiB) Viewed 2729 times
Canufixit

Re: Antique Mills slot - clock part question ?

Postby mechanic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:13 pm

Your close !!! What this actually is is a speed variator. The offset cam should adjust itself with every pull of the handle which varies the speed or length of time the clock cycles. This was made to prevent rhythm playing. Mills also made variators that slowed the clock fan and another that tightened the reel brake wires. Both are very scarce parts. Mills settled on this style variator for its simplicity. The others had multiple parts they would need to assemble and the units were a lot bigger compared to the cam. Put some oil on the cam and spin it a few times then watch how it plays. Good Luck
mechanic

Postby Canufixit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:16 pm

Great answer! Thanks. Don't know why I could not fine any mention or pics of this online ....
Canufixit

Postby MONTI » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:11 pm

Here is a montage of pictures showing the fan speed variator that the mechanic mentioned that was used to prevent rhythm playing!
Interesting little device, been a while since I found one on a slot I was doing a restoration on!
MONTI
VARIATOR.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby Canufixit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:45 pm

This Helps !!! Please get a beverage of choice on me !!! SteveC (I've got a couple other question in this Forum - I'd love to have you take a peek.
Canufixit

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions