Mills Slot - wind up and release issue - Slides not locking

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Slot - wind up and release issue - Slides not locking

Postby Canufixit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:43 pm

HI all,

I have a well used and abused mills 1960's era slot machine that "occasionally" fails to spin the reels. This usually happens when it has been sitting for a while (machine gumming up?). Although I am going to clean it thoroughly, I think I see the issue?? With reel bundle removed - it still has the issue (just FYI).

From what I can see/understand, I think the payout finger lock (slide arm ) fails to side fully behind the payout slides during wind up. When it starts the windup cycle the payout slides get fully extended and then the side lock lever slide slips behind the slides. I realize that the slides if gummy may contribute or cause this - and I will clean. But how do you adjust the lock lever position - or adjust the slide push bar to be sure the payout slides are fully extended before the side lock lever tries to pivot behind the slides ??? It seems like the clearance between the slides and the lock lever is too close at full cocking for the slide side lock lever to consistently get behind and hold the slides fully extended prior to eventual release.... Does this make sense ??

Thanks All !!
Canufixit

Re: Mills Slot - wind up and release issue - Slides not lock

Postby Canufixit » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi, Follow up to my post.

The wind up /slide locking appears to be fixed .... I stripped down "most" of the frame and then cleaned / de greased/de cruded the unit. Then Re Assembled .... Now MUCH easier to wind up and much quieter. IT appears the slides and the locking lever well well gummed up. Now it cycles OK and generally ok. I still need to replace a couple worn parts and the reel strips,

SteveC
Canufixit

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions