Taking Mills Extraordinary out of the Console

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Taking Mills Extraordinary out of the Console

Postby CWCadillac » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:37 pm

So I just picked up an all original 25 cent Mills Extraordinary in the Console stand........I'm trying to take the machine out of the console and having no luck at all!........Seems that in order to remove the jackpot the machine has to be taken out of the console (the lower right screw on the jackpot cannot be removed as part of the coin tray casting is blocking it).....in order to remove the front castings the machine has to be removed from the console.........it appears the machine can only be removed out the Back of the console and I can't get it to budge......I've removed the four wood screws through sides of the slot cabinet into the console and also removed the handle and the handle extension (I can see nothing else holding the machine in the console?).........the jackpot is a handload and I don't have the key for the handload lock, once the jackpot is removed I should be able to remove the handload lock out the back of the machine, and have a key made for it (its an early Eagle lock---I guess Mills used it before using one of their own locks for the handload?) .......this is a nice Original machine and it also has a Gold Award!.......Once I finish going thru the machine it will be for sale:) Here is a picture of the machine as found...
Attachments
20190207_221040.jpg
Mills Extraordinary as found
20190207_221105.jpg
Mills Extraordinary as found
CWCadillac

Re: Taking Mills Extraordinary out of the Console

Postby Swami » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:54 pm

Chuck,

Take the back door of the Console off. There should be Four Screws going through the top of the storage area, into the Bottom of the Slot Machine.
Swami

Re: Taking Mills Extraordinary out of the Console

Postby CWCadillac » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up......but.......I already figured out that I could remove the plate the mechanism sits on, pull it back and get to the two screws that were holding the coin casting, that was blocking the last screw holding the jackpot in place.............well after I did all that the lower casting came off from the front, with the jackpot on it.......now for the next Big problem......after removing all three screws holding the jackpot, the jackpot still will not come out??? It seems there is a 'nail' going thru the inner wall of the jackpot, into the back of the handload lock!!! Never seen anything like this before??? The handload lock was made by Eagle lock company (I'm thinking this was a very early handload lock, before Mills began using their own locks?)......anyway, I don't see anyway to get the 'nail' to release, that is holding the jackpot to the handload lock.......I may be able to break the head off the 'nail' and release the jackpot, but then the handload lock may never stay in place again??? I don't want to ruin anything.........has anyone ever come up against this before??? Only thing I can imagine is the handload lock cylinder may have a button somewhere that might release the 'nail'??? I've been working on slots for about 25 years and this is one I've never seen before.....HELP!!!
CWCadillac

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions