Handle pump suction

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Handle pump suction

Postby Shane » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:31 pm

I took apart the handle pump, cleaned and dried the parts, and replaced the piston leather (purchased from Dave Berten). When I pull the rod there is some resistance but no suction to draw the rod back. Not sure if this is normal or if there should be significant suction that pulls the rod back. Should the cylinder wall be lined with any lubricant?

Thanks,

Shane
Shane

Re: Handle pump suction

Postby Canufixit » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Ok, I might be confused on the question but ....

IMO, Pump main purpose is to cushion the return of the handle when released. User pulls it down the handle and a spring returns it - with resistance from the pump/shock absorb er . Pump is air pressure based. Leather piston seals the air in the cylinder and inlet and outlet valves (usually adjustable - at least one) controls the speed of the air flow/air release/speed of handle. Leather is normally penetrated with oil to allow seal to inside cylinder walls - enough oil to make the leather pliable but not drippy. Spring needs to return the handle the pump/valve cushions the return speed. If the new leather is not pliable it wll not seal well to the cylinder walls ....

IS this what you mean ???
Canufixit

Postby Shane » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:18 pm

I installed the leather straight from the packaging, i.e. dry. It is not very thick so it is already pliable but sounds like I need to soak it in oil so it will seal properly when in the cylinder.
Shane

Postby Canufixit » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:27 pm

The old one should have been well oiled ???
Canufixit

Postby Shane » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:48 pm

Yes, it was a big glob of oil - but it had been in there for 80 years so I didn't assume that was the way it was supposed to be!

Shane
Shane

Postby Canufixit » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:54 am

Hi Shane, How did you make out with the pump ??
Canufixit

Postby Shane » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:15 am

Works great now! I soaked it over night in motor oil and it had instant suction when I installed it. I don't have the mech reinstalled yet to test it in regular operation but manually moving the piston it seems to have the appropriate amount of resistance. Thanks for the tip!

Shane
Shane

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions