Jennings 5c Star Chief no payouts

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Jennings 5c Star Chief no payouts

Postby Yarder » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:28 pm

I have a 1950's Jennings Star Chief Nickel machine. SN 196876.

Up until a few days ago, the machine was working just fine. I suspect something has jammed up. My grand-daughter pulled the crank on a cherry winner before the coins dropped, and since then, nothing has come down.

It will not pay out any winning combination. I verified that the payout assembly (#MPXX) vertical legs indeed go all the way into various payout combinations on the wheels. The payout tube is full. As far as I could see in the payout tube, there are no twisted coins, all are laying flat. I have also verified that there's no loose coins in the mechanism.

When the machine hits on a winner. I hear a clunk (no matter what the payout), and none of the sliders move. No coins come out. All the playing coins are sent to the house repository. When I look with the machine on it's side, there are no coins stored in the lower payout tube.

Anyone have an idea of where I should start and how? I was thinking of using an ice pick and try to move the sliders.
Yarder

Re: Jennings 5c Star Chief no payouts

Postby rosekiller454356 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:32 am

First and foremost......do not use an ice pick. I suggest you remove the coin tube in order to empty it Since you have verified there are not any coins in the payout slides, you should not have to remove them. Reinstall the coin tube and fill it with say 20 coins. Cycle the mechanism and see if it pays on a winner.
rosekiller454356

Postby Yarder » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:38 am

Welp, I got it running again. I checked all the slides and they seemed to be in working order. I removed the house tube, and turned the unit upside down to drain the payout tube. Nothing worked.

After about the third time having the innards on the table, I put the machine on it's side and from the bottom side of the payout hole, I poked a screwdriver up there and basically released a nickle that was jammed in there.

I'm back in business now! Next job: re-solder some wires, and look into getting some LED lights to keep it cool. I can warm my lunch on the frame after having the lights on for a while.
Yarder

Postby rosekiller454356 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:28 pm

Appears that coin jam was pretty hard for you to find. Rather than using an ice pick or screwdriver, next time try using the butt end of a tooth brush, which will not damage the slides. Anyway, glad you got it up and working again.
rosekiller454356

Postby Yarder » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:34 pm

Excellent idea on the plastic toothbrush. I was barely able to get a long thin screwdriver in the payout hole to gently push on the stuck nickel that did the trick! I'm so happy now!!!!
Yarder

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions